Discuss All in one multifunction testers for newbie. in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi.

Thanks guys for your resonces from my last posts, but now I have another question.

I need to buy my first multifunction tester, ones that test volts/rcd/fault loop/insulation resistance etc.

What are the best testers on the market and the best place to get them?

And is there any advise or buying no no's to these kind of purchases?

Untill my feet get off the ground it looks like these testers will be worth more then my car :).

Regards

Jamie.

Think about what functions you might want in the future so don't shoot yourself in the foot to save 50 quid etc to miss out on phase sequence or something.

I would suggest a Metrel.
If you need to be able to test 'B' type RCDs, then you have two manufacturers to choose between, Megger and Metrel.
Click on the 'Test Meter.co.uk' logo on the left of your screen and they have a compare App which allows you to choose which options you want.

Thanks guys for this, appreciate this I will bear those in mind.

I would probably be seeing myself doing mainly domestic work. I have got a few mates and family working in the building trade waiting for me to get fully qualified before throwing loads of domestic work at me, the amount of building work now coming in is awsome.

Regards

Jamie.

If you are an apprentice then your employer should be providing you with suitable test equipment, wait until you are qualified and going SE/starting a business before you buy your own.

If you want to buy your own tester for fault finding then an analogue insulation resistance and continuity tester would be my recommendation. I've got a robin K3131Dl which I picked up on ebay for about £30.

If you are an apprentice then your employer should be providing you with suitable test equipment, wait until you are qualified and going SE/starting a business before you buy your own.

If you want to buy your own tester for fault finding then an analogue insulation resistance and continuity tester would be my recommendation. I've got a robin K3131Dl which I picked up on ebay for about £30.

i swear by my megger analogue BM7. bought at a car boot for £2. luvverly bit of kit.

I bought a Kewtech KT64 on recommendation from a seller of test equipment. His recommendation was based on price, features and service from the manufacturer.

The only other testers I have uses are a metrel and a megger. I find my KT64 very easy to use with lots of nice touches, and on top of that they do lots of adaptors that make domestic testing much easier, a particularly useful kit is the Kewtech lightmates. Overall I can fully recommend the Kewtech KT64

ring test-meter they sponser tge forums and are very helpful.

i got recommended certain items based on what some other members on here bought and liked

i have only used
megger
fluke
dilog

to be honest they are all as easy to use as each other

Why? ... What possible reason would you cite,for holding back the OP's learning and experience journey?

He is not going to become proficient and confident by stalling at the investment of his trade.

His employers may only purchase equipment for the staff earning by the use of them,allowing the OP to be trained with what is available. They may only train him as and when they use them in the course of a job. The equipment used may be poor...calibrated,working,but poor.

All of the above occur regularly,based on feedback i have received.

So,to the OP,please don't let anyone hobble your learning and enthusiasm.

Forget flowers,phones and flusies...spend your cash on kit,which will educate,interest and expand your knowledge,and when you are qualified,you will have the other vital asset...that of confidence. :icon12:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 81
Thanks. Overall I am seemed to be drawn to the Megger MFT 1735, It appears to have pretty much every function going on it that I may require on my journey, the average price seems be just shy of a grand (or just over 1000 with accessory kits etc).

And yes I am going it alone as throughout as I have not been blessed with any apprentice work oppurtunities nor have friends or family in the trade.

So whatever kit I choose I hope is right :).

P.S. 17th wiring regs update cource day 1 tomorrow.

Regards

Jamie.

Thanks. Overall I am seemed to be drawn to the Megger MFT 1735, It appears to have pretty much every function going on it that I may require on my journey, the average price seems be just shy of a grand (or just over 1000 with accessory kits etc).

And yes I am going it alone as throughout as I have not been blessed with any apprentice work oppurtunities nor have friends or family in the trade.

So whatever kit I choose I hope is right :).

P.S. 17th wiring regs update cource day 1 tomorrow.

Regards

Jamie.
its a waste of money getting the 1735 if your just starting out.

you can get a very good tester for half that

Gosh that's a lot of money. :)

It's very easy to be swayed by "feature lust." You don't need most of the stuff on there. The 1735 came out, what, less than a year ago? How did people manage before then?

There are several manufacturers of test equipment suitable for the UK market. Prices are therefore competitive. By all means, buy "quality" but don't mistake "features" for "quality". (Off-topic: similar for many domestic appliances, e.g. washing machines. An £800 Hotpoint is no better built than a £300 Hotpoint).

Questions you should be asking: will the "no loop trip" randomly add an ohm or so to your readings for certain types of RCD? (that might steer you towards, or away from, certain manufacturers)

Is it absolutely essential that you have the ability to take a no-trip Zs reading without a neutral (ie 2-wire no-trip loop)? (That might steer you towards a certain manufacturer).

Another way of thinking about it is: For the price of an all-singing, all-dancing MFT, could you also buy a cheap MFT, then separates for the functions you don't require that often (earth electrode tester, phase rotation tester)? And finally, how gutted would you feel if your £1000 pride and joy got smashed/nicked, vs how gutted would you feel if your £400 does-the-job got smashed/nicked?

Reply to All in one multifunction testers for newbie. in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net