Discuss Am I being too fussy? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

The meter box on the outside of the house is the property of the electric company. You are not allowed to fit you own products in there.
You are responsible from the consumer unit (including) on-wards.
Hope this helps
Earthstore Energy

Sounds like a lack of communication from the installer, lets also be frank that the margin on this job will be tiny. Sorry to be blunt, but you usually get excatly what you pay for.

I'm sure it will turn out alright in the end.

As far as I am aware, the electric company owns the "Board" or "Box" irrespective of who supplied it or who fitted it. I may be wrong and I am sure that an expert will put us straight?
What you do from the tails on wards is your/the house holders responsibility.
I have friends who work for SSE, I will inquire so we can confirm.
It's the same if you have a substation on your land, that is the property of the DNO.

Hope this helps
Earthstore

Just obtained some clarification on this.
All that should be installed within the box is equipment belonging to the Electricity companies. IE mains fuse, meter, and isolation switch.
It is not "good practice" to fit your own equipment in the box, even if you bought it.
Hope this helps
Earthstore

lol here here solar savings :) i have put main switches in then for say garage supplies where board is impractical to get to (me being lazy realy) never had probs!!! i no if u want to do something like that u should put your own box next to it ! SHOULD do and what u DO DO is diff thing:)and yes if ive PAYED for it its mine! the electric company just borrowing it to keep THERE equiptment DRY :))))) lol

Don't shoot the messenger, it was only advice that came from the SSE.
However, here is a question, when the DNO or energy provider come to a house to change a meter or upgrade the system and they find it not possible because it is full of consumer units, generation meters etc etc, and they have just been installed by an electrician, who will have to pay to have them relocated?
As mentioned before, what is "good practice", the easiest way or the right way?

lol well just to make u rest easy earthstore when I put my equiptment in there i ALWAYS make sure plenty of room left!! UNLESS they EVER start putting in EXPORT meters?? then it may be fun! never seen one yet? has anyone?

My house was so poorly built that it actually had 3 meter boxes and I asked why. 1 was gas, 1 elec and 1 empty. So they removed the third which I could have possibly used now for generation meter.

Install was finished by 4pm yesterday and that was without commissioning a new CU as went with the usual 2 way CU, isolator and largish generation meter.

They went to get a Crabtree from their supplier in the morning and could not get the one they wanted so it would only have left 1 spare for my new kitchen so glad I did not pay the £300 extra for a CU that was not what I wanted.

12.5 KW generated today. Now just got to wait on my MCS certificate before I can send FIT forms off.

I believe I need a new MCS certificate if I change meter (that is what I have been told) so come new kitchen time I will have to get a MCS registered electrician to fit and commision the Wylex CU with inbuilt meter I guess. Hopefully there will still be a few about.

I doubt any system hit more than 4kwh today. 3.76kwp in N Wilts did 3.3kw.

Sounds like the meter had 9kw on it already!! Maybe they wired it backwards!! (twice)!!

if i was u i would STIC with that meter :) even if it takes up more space ! u be able to forget the kitchen and put an exstention on at that rate!!

I have got to admit i am with Earthstore on this one , in my opinion it is unacceptable to install in the cut out box .:frown2:
I think we all agree it is not best practise to do so , and as far as i can remember i always thought the dno could kick up a fuss and demand it be moved ?:53:

Reply to Am I being too fussy? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net