Discuss Another Domestic installer course noob saying hi in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

The only course you need is a course in not getting caught by the rozzers
good local street knowledge and a fast motorbike ( to get down narrow entrys where plod's patrol cars would get stuck. ).

@Ascarabus I did the DI course (aged 40ish), although mine was based in a college over a 6 months period, one or 2 evenings per week. I think it's better if you find one over a longer duration as it gives you time to do your own studies, you then gain more as during the next teaching session you have some relevant questions. I would check out your local college.

Good luck chap.

You are never too late to train for a new direction....

I quite fancy being a peripatetic gynaecologist ... seen a gap in the market ?

Trustatrader have give me the nod...and me brief has ordered his new Merc...❤

@Ascarabus I did the DI course (aged 40ish), although mine was based in a college over a 6 months period, one or 2 evenings per week. I think it's better if you find one over a longer duration as it gives you time to do your own studies, you then gain more as during the next teaching session you have some relevant questions. I would check out your local college.

Good luck chap.
Thanks for this, very useful :)

Might be a bit late to this thread but as per the original poster I am too after the same constructive feedback from the experienced electricians of these courses.
I’ll be honest, as a plasterer my shoulders are shot to pieces, its mind numbingly boring at times and I am genuinely interested in electrics.
But before I too hand over 3k to learn a DI course, my idea being I can offer 1st fix, plaster, then 2nd fix, testing etc.

These courses seem legit, and with the approval from the same governing bodies that you lot are registered with it seems to stack up safely and legally.

So what’s the big deal?
I’ve seen lots of slagging off in other forums, paper spark etc. But no real argument.

Yes I accept I won’t know the science behind electrics.
But I too would follow a ‘text book’ install and would not stray from what I’ve been taught to be safe and legal.
And I wouldn’t offer more than I’m capable of doing.
Because I wouldn’t have the knowledge or experience to know any possible loop holes that also ‘works’.

I bet most of you drive a car but wouldn’t have the first clue about engines, because you’ve been taught to press this peddle and turn that wheel and it’s safe and works.
And before you say it, yes it is a good comparison it can be just as dangerous if done wrong.
And I can imagine all of you have seen shoddy work from qualified sparks over the years.

If the real issue here is just because you think it wouldn’t be done safe or right? If it is then I’d accept that and crack on with the course because in my head I know I wouldn’t do any different to how I’ve been taught which is safe and legal.

Look forward to your feedback. Happy Valentine’s Day all hope you all get lucky.

First up, as a plasterer you are the most despised trade so far as sparks are concerned ? We'd rather cuddle a wet pants!

Dont do a fast track course get to college in the evenings and do it properly. As you work on site already you will have a wealth of knowledge from just 'being there'. You might be able to chat up a local sparky to get site experience on electrics?

You are not right that the CPS's accept these courses. Even the NICEIC are cracking down on these sorts and making joining harder (or not taking them on).

If your shoulders are fooked prepare to have similar to your knees as a sparky!

Being able to offer two trades to get the whole job done in a fairly quick and organised way is potentially a very good selling point, and the fact you are looking at how to do it properly is a very good start.

Look after your knees! Look at getting the overalls that have built-in knee pads as the best way to have them when they are actually needed.

First up, as a plasterer you are the most despised trade so far as sparks are concerned ? We'd rather cuddle a wet pants!

Dont do a fast track course get to college in the evenings and do it properly. As you work on site already you will have a wealth of knowledge from just 'being there'. You might be able to chat up a local sparky to get site experience on electrics?

You are not right that the CPS's accept these courses. Even the NICEIC are cracking down on these sorts and making joining harder (or not taking them on).

If your shoulders are fooked prepare to have similar to your knees as a sparky!
No trades like other trades that’s the site rules :)
But college or short course, it gets you to the same rules and regs to get your foot in the door.

I’ve got enough knowledge to do a decent rewire now, it’s just not legal so I wouldn’t do it.

Experience is second to none I understand that and in time even a DI will pick up knowledge.
If it means everyone in the family gets a new fuse board while I gain that knowledge then so be it.
We won’t steal your business, there’s plenty to go round.

And years of screeding my knees are like the surface of a brick so no worries there.

Reply to Another Domestic installer course noob saying hi in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net