Discuss Hi am just really curious and want to know why meter installers get more then Ev installers ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Their salary in London is around 44,000 salary and they do 4 meter installs.
The EV installers in london they do 2 a day and they get salary of 34,000 but they do whole cable run , drill whole and db and testing.

It’s seems like the EV installers do way more work the meter installers.
I just want know everyone else’s thoughts on this ?

Firstly I doubt that ALL meter installers are paid £44k and that ALL EV installers are paid £34k.
In both fields some will be paid more, some will be paid less.

You've said that Meter Installers do 4 per day whereas E.V do 2 per day, that means the meters guys, gals and others do twice as much !

Communications on the meters have to be setup and checked.
They have to sort out the multiple Off Peak layouts that have been used over the years.
They have to check for faults on the installation and decide whether it's safe to continue.
And more.

Meter Installers are usually Gassafe registered as well so they can do both meters where required.
Dual skills, higher reward.

I have been waiting 6 months for BG to send a meter maid round to fit me a new smart meter as my one is dead as a doornail.
If there are so few meter installers around then the wages will be far higher ?

I thought monkeys worked for peanuts?

As with a lot of these jobs, you’ll get paid more, the more jobs you do…. So if you throw in 4 or more meters a day, with no thought for testing… you’ll get more than an EV, running cables neatly, testing, setting up

My supplier, Shell, have upped their game trying to get me on a "Smart Meter"
They had been emailing with the threat / advisory that my supply might go off when the Off-Peak Radio Teleswitch Signal is turned off, originally this year, now next year.

They've now upped their game to having what I thought originally was a scam phone number, so I blocked it, call my mobile.
Turns out it was Shell's appointed meter installer.
They then sent a text with an appoinment, which I rejected.

Currently waiting for the next phase, will they knock on the door maybe??
Or maybe they'll do that old fashioned thing of writing a polite letter.

Meter fitters are generally working for big companies with established rates of pay and systems etc. There isn't really any competition to push the money down.

EV installers have competition, they will often be quoting for jobs against other installers and so a lot of them will be pushing prices down to try and win more work.

I have been waiting 6 months for BG to send a meter maid round to fit me a new smart meter
Six months? I'm on five years and counting with Scottish Power.
They had been emailing with the threat / advisory that my supply might go off when the Off-Peak Radio Teleswitch Signal is turned off, originally this year, now next year.

They've now upped their game to having what I thought originally was a scam phone number, so I blocked it, call my mobile.

So it's not just me, then? All of the above and more from Eon.
Didn't know that the teleswitch thing had been postponed again. That explains why they appear to have given up on that one.
I'm on a tariff where R1 and R2 are identical anyway, so it makes no difference if it stops switching. The reading that moves will be the total, instead of having to add the two together.

Didn't know that the teleswitch thing had been postponed again. That explains why they appear to have given up on that one.
I'm on a tariff where R1 and R2 are identical anyway, so it makes no difference if it stops switching. The reading that moves will be the total, instead of having to add the two together.

Postponed due to pandemic and not being able to get enough meters changed in time.

Same here, on a single rate tariff but dual rate meter.

I have to admit I'm only only 99% convinced that my supply will stay live on whatever rate it looses the signal as there is quite a bit more going on in the meter settings re spreading the load in the area at the time of switching.
But I think it's more a repeat of Y2K and they don't trust that all the supplies will stay on, so want to play it safe.
Added to it's a good way of convincing people into changing.

Last edited:
No calls (yet) but texts, letters, and cards, all pushing a 'smart' meter for me. But I don't see any advantage as its easy enough to read it once a month or whatever, and so far (probably as my life has been dull for MANY years) the estimated demand is pretty accurate anyway.

Why should I waste half a day for no advantage?

It is only about 5 years ago they swapped out the 30 year old Ferranti dial meter for an electronic one, so no hurry to me.

I have to admit I'm only only 99% convinced that my supply will stay live on whatever rate it looses the signal as there is quite a bit more going on in the meter settings re spreading the load in the area at the time of switching.
Unless it's a prepayment or smart meter, there's no chance that the supply will go off to a 24 hour tariff CU. There's no contactor in any other kind.
A 7 hour CU may or may not stay live, depending on what time of day the signal is switched off.

It's like they don't realise people can just bypass their meter and still get electricity.

Firstly I doubt that ALL meter installers are paid £44k and that ALL EV installers are paid £34k.

You've said that Meter Installers do 4 per day whereas E.V do 2 per day, that means the meters guys, gals and others do twice as much !

They have to sort out the multiple Off Peak layouts that have been used over the years.
They have to check for faults on the installation and decide whether it's safe to continue.
And more.

Meter Installers are usually Gassafe registered as well so they can do both meters where required.
Hi well I meant roughly the meter guys get more than EV guys in London.
Or I am in bad company, cause EV installers salary in London is 34,000 But meter is 44,000.

Yes meter do 4 but am saying in meter they do less work, for example maximum change of meter is 2 hours that being generous, bear in mind they only connect 4 cables or more.

With EV there’s more in it then meter, also you have to do bonding if the property doesn’t have one, testing, cable run, and db. Also this company make us install isolator if property doesn’t have one.
The company has said to do 2 EV install in a day which should be 5 hour each and it’s just seems impossible to do for me, it’s 10 hour day and they haven’t even told me when the break is 😂. So far I have only been doing one only since the cut out is always in the middle of the house.
We also have to commission the charger show how it works and set it up too for customers .

Also I have asked the meter guys what time roughly they finish and they always finish in good times.
I might have to look into metering since they pay more and is less work and stress.

And more.

I thought monkeys worked for peanuts?

As with a lot of these jobs, you’ll get paid more, the more jobs you do…. So if you throw in 4 or more meters a day, with no thought for testing… you’ll get more than an EV, running cables neatly, testing, setting up
Yh seems like metering is better pay and less stress

Meter fitters are generally working for big companies with established rates of pay and systems etc. There isn't really any competition to push the money down.

EV installers have competition, they will often be quoting for jobs against other installers and so a lot of them will be pushing prices down to try and win more work.That actually makes sense thank you
Yh am in company that does both ev and metering. I think that actually makes more sense thank you

Reply to Hi am just really curious and want to know why meter installers get more then Ev installers ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net