Discuss Any advice for 18th edition course and exam in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am trying to get 18th edition certificate and booked a 3 days course and ordered the blue book. Once the book arrive us, I will start to study and my course will start on 1st July. I am new in England. Before I came to England, I worked 5 years in Turkey and 6 months in Italy as electric engineer. I am not unfamiliar to electric systems but unfamiliar to UK electric system, so this scares me a bit. And I don't have so much time for preperations, only 2 weeks left. I saw the other posts about mock exams and ----------- exam simulator, I will investigate them carefully. Are they enough to prepare or should I do some extra things for preperation?
Any comments or suggestions about the exam would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Make sure you have this in the exam. I used it pasted inside the front cover it was allowed by the invigilator, maybe it will be by yours?

Attachments

• 18th ed Quick Ref.pdf
    44.1 KB · Views: 52
No need to stick post it notes every where just study the "Contents page" tells you all you will need to know.

No need to stick post it notes every where just study the "Contents page" tells you all you will need to know.
It's quicker than keep on going to the contents page but whatever works for you.
It is all very well passing the where to find it in the book but it's how to put it into everyday practice.

I've got a BBB arriving next week and was going to ask what sections people tend to mark/reference the most.

I know I won't need it for my L2 course but I figure the more time spent reading it, the better, even if 18th is a long wayout for me

I used far fewer flags for 18th exam than I did for 17th and got better marks. Basically just flagged up the start of each chapter, the appendices and a couple of the tables. If you do lots of practice questions you’ll get a good feel for the areas worth flagging.

Anything that saves you time, in any exam is useful as per @Vortigern example. That gives you more time to consider questions you find more challenging. I would check with the centre to see if it’s aloowed though.

The contents and index pages of BS7671, are fine when you are not confined by time, not in an exam.

Last BS7671 exam I did, a good proportion of the questions I’d done similar in mock exams. Again, gives you more time to answer ones you’ve not considered before.

We had to use clean library copies at the centre I did mine in. Weren’t allowed our own books that had relevant sections tabbed up and highlighted.

You’ll have so many questions from each section of the book and it runs in order which makes it easier.

Do some mock exams and get a feel for what’s in each section and all the appendicitis’s and you’ll be ok.

We had to use clean library copies at the centre I did mine in. Weren’t allowed our own books that had relevant sections tabbed up and highlighted.

You’ll have so many questions from each section of the book and it runs in order which makes it easier.

Do some mock exams and get a feel for what’s in each section and all the appendicitis’s and you’ll be ok.
Thanks,

My 18th edition looks like this.

Attachments

• Any advice for 18th edition course and exam 18th - EletriciansForums.net
    18th.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 8
Thanks,

My 18th edition looks like this.

You might be ok with that, depends what centre you do it at.

Try and remember what pages relevant information is on that you use a lot, Zs tables, time curves etc... it will save you time if you can flick straight to it. I wrote them down on a blank sheet of paper at the start of the exam, along with any formulas I thought a may need.

Reply to Any advice for 18th edition course and exam in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock