Discuss Are there any resources that show an actual job being done for trainees in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrics

Esteemed
Reaction score
Just looking for resources, books and videos ideally, that show how to actually do the physical job. ie you need to wire some lights in, what's the best method to bring the feed in to the lights, or you need to put sockets in, what's the most efficient way to do the job ie chase out first, put in back boxes, run in cable.

Like the methodology of getting the actual job done, something that perhaps your spark would show you on site when you are an apprentice, that sort of thing.

All i can find is stuff showing wiring and while that's great, to me it's the easy part of doing a good job. The hard part is knowing how to get your stuff in quickly, cleanly, efficiently and in the right order.

Any resources? I thought the on-site guide was something like this but i can't find a preview of what is actually in the book.

Good question! It's one thing to know all the theory behind electrics but that is just one part of being an electrician. There's so many different ways and different scenarios with regards the actual work that I doubt there could be a generic 'this is how to rewire a house' video. There are just so many variables! The only real way to learn all the 'building' part of being an electrician is to work along side an electrician for a few years. However, I know that's not what you wanted to hear as you have already mentioned that in your post, sorry.

One other way to gain learn about all the 'other' bits is to have a play in your own house. It's not a substitute for working alongside an electrician but it certainly helps. When I first qualified I pretty much took my house apart having a practise with chasing/boxes/boiler wiring/trunking/conduit/CU change etc etc etc......

Of course if you are renting that may not go down to well!

If you are a trainee you could keep pestering electricians on here for some experience. Probably won't work, but worth a try.

Good luck chap :)

Any resources? I thought the on-site guide was something like this but i can't find a preview of what is actually in the book.
No, the OSG is really just a handy explanation of some of the more common regulations with pictures where applicable (safe zones for example). It helps you with things like quickly selecting the correct cable size by collating some of the commonly used tables from the much larger regs book, but it’s not a step-by-step guide on how to chase a wall or install cable tray.

It does have a quite useful chapter on inspection and testing, but that’s about the only step-by-step bit in it.

I guess messing about myself and watching some of the various wannabe celeb sparks on youtube will be the best way to do it.

I've just come here from France so stuff is completely different. My dad laughed at me when i told him some of the French rules and ways of doing things.

Be very careful watching so called celeb sparks on YouTube.... There are some on there that should be..... well, I won’t say. Don’t want to upset them too much.

suffice to say, some practices of theirs could only be described as dodgy, doubtful and sometimes dangerous.

Not all of them. Just some.
Search for it on the forum.

Be very careful watching so called celeb sparks on YouTube.... There are some on there that should be..... well, I won’t say. Don’t want to upset them too much.

suffice to say, some practices of theirs could only be described as dodgy, doubtful and sometimes dangerous.

Not all of them. Just some.
Search for it on the forum.
I think i know who you're talking about, except i'm fairly sure he's a plumber not a spark ;) Which ones would you recommend?

To be honest, I’ve never watched any apart from the dodgy plumber. (He really doesn’t like us!) as it was linked from here.

I learned the old way watching the journeyman. Didn’t have YouTube when I were a lad.

one word of advice when chasing walls with the old hammer and chisel.... see that skin coloured object, just this side of the chisel? That’s your thumb. Try not to hit it with the hammer.

Reply to Are there any resources that show an actual job being done for trainees in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net