Discuss At a loss in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I am a Maintenance man. I also hold a journeyman's license. but I am at a loss on this one. I have 2ea 50 hp air compressor. Both seem to be having a similar problem. .
they are both 230 VAC 3 Phase with a wild leg . Power comes in to the compressor shed from 150 amp breaker to a 200 amp disconnect with 150 amp fuses. then it is run through a manual switch that allows me to switch from one to the other. . One of theses compressors is approx 2 yrs old ( Com -05) the other is 20+ ( Com-01) Com -01 will
Run 5 -6 hrs then it will Trip the motor overload.. by the time get there I am able to reset the overload and it will run another couple of hrs maybe then do it again.
I have replaced the entire motor starter with overload and thermal units . I have replaced oil temp switches. and most recently sent the motor out for evaluation. They did $1300.00 of work on it. we reinstalled it on 6/30/21 and got the same result. Com -05 generally runs ok but back in April while i was on vacation it blew 1 150 amp fuse and tripped the breaker. then when I got back it blew just one fuse (not the same fuse) then on 6/30/21 it tripped the breaker and blew a fuse. I have an amp draw on both compressors left to Right A phase = 100 amps B phase = 87 amps and C phase = 88 amps soo I'm not sure what to do next any help would be appreciated

There is a large difference in the phase currents.
check voltage and current to each of the motor phase cables, any imbalance needs to be investigated.

Hi,i take it that your "amp draw" is measured clamp style,while running? or is it a power monitor?

Knowing the stage at which the overload occurs,would be helpful,for example,at start,or near end of cycle.

Reply to At a loss in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net