Discuss Bad Workmanship in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

me too, but wait while part q come in..all sparks have to go on deep sea diving courses, in case they have to change lamps in swimming pools (mp's swimming pools,moats etc)

Went to a job last year, old 10mm shower cable had been used to supply the new underfloor heating,
still on a 50 amp mcb, new extractor fan had cover plate missing, JB's all over the place, earth had been disconnected from the bathroom lighting supply, etc, etc............building developer & his handyman!

You only need to write "spare" if there is an MCB installed with no circuit connected to it.

But yes, unused ways neednt be labelled.

We did a job and we could not get any blanks for whatever reason so bunged a couple of breakers in. The sparks that normally works on that site reported us for leaving circuit breakers in a dis board that had no circuit connected!!

We did a job and we could not get any blanks for whatever reason so bunged a couple of breakers in. The sparks that normally works on that site reported us for leaving circuit breakers in a dis board that had no circuit connected!!

Can`t see anywhere this is against any regs???

Went to job there that NIE (Northern Ireland Electricity) were metering and they couldn`t get power on. Went down and found no blanks in board wall light cables not properly terminated in chalk box or equivalent and tails curled up in the c.u with temp supply still terminated. Didn`t know if all the dead tests were completed or what and if it was safe for energising. This was a new house build. It seems the ones who try to comply with the regs are punished for misdemeaners and the ones who don`t care are taken by the hand.

My dad lives in Southern Spain. On a visit a couple of years ago we had a walk down to the local watering hole. Being the sad so and so that I am i was looking at all the Consumer units which were located outside in the gardens, this seems the norm there. However we went past what looked like a farmhouse, the CU was in a wooden mailbox with no front on it and it was nailed to a tree, there were a couple of car type jump leads connecting it to the overhead power lines, the cables came out of it and across the drive (dirt track) and went into the front door of the house, but it was OK because there were some stone slabs laid over the cables across the drive to stop cars damaging them.

God only knows what the install in the house was like.

I returned in September last year and out of curiosity i went to see if it was still the same, lo and behold there had been some inprovement done. The cables going across the drive were now in a bit of plastic pipe and further protected by some new stone slabs. He must have had a code 2 on his PIR:D

Last edited by a moderator:
About 2 years ago, a friend asked me to hang a new curtain pole up for her (nothing to do with electric i hear you say)
Anyway, got to her house, showed me the window she wanted the curtain pole put up. No electric socket or light switch anywhere to be seen. So, i marked up the fixing holes started drilling. After 5seconds of drilling, a huge flash, bang and a face full of hot crap and all the electric off!
No doubt in my mind, a 5min job got a lot longer and i obviously hit a cable. Out with the hammer and bolster start chipping away at the wall.
Turns out i hit a lighting circuit which fed a ceiling rose in the next room which was outside of the zone and was run in the wall as it was a flat roof..........lesson learnt me thinks!

me too, but wait while part q come in..all sparks have to go on deep sea diving courses, in case they have to change lamps in swimming pools (mp's swimming pools,moats etc)

You may laugh...I did one of these once in a pool full of water:eek:.....only 12v in a sealed headlight type fitting.....oooo to be an apprentice again:)

Changed a similar lamp in a vapour bath once too....the sparky said he would keep his coat on as it would insulate him and keep him cool.....I stripped off as far as was decent...after about five mins in there the sparky flaked out..........dont think I could get a risk sassessment, method statement or safe system of work to cover this type of work nowadays....

Last edited:
part p = unlimited access to all things electrical

are you part p? no...

then you're not a real electrician then are you :rolleyes:

they've created a monster - if people are on a register for part p, i that register should also include the scope of work that person is allowed to carry out.

simples

I was connecting earth cable to block on incoming, and there was a lot of sparking coming from tails at supply, informed supply company who came out promptly. the guy who fittied the meter before had not screwed the tails up. It seem like they have there own rules and regs and get away with it.

Also i have had crossed tails, so a spark just crossed the tails over again in the cu to make the wrong a right. How do these people get away with this, i mean the so called sparkies and meter fitters.

Last edited by a moderator:
hi guys, im new here. cant tell you where i work but we had a foreigner do some work for the company. I asked him to install an mechanical isolator and all was ok. The company then decided to upgrade aa bit of kit and was infact a heater 11.5kw 3 phase and when I went to disconnect the isolator, I found the guy had put the 3 phase into his 3 phase and actually bypassed the interlock not only was this good enough, he put the earth screen and neutral together...seemingly in NZ under AU:3001-NZ this is common practice.....thats the worst I have seen...

hi buddy, and thanks. I logged on to this site last night. had a little query regarding x5 test etc on rcd testing/inspection. and this site had popped up in a google search. was really helpful then spent the next hour reading over other topics!! good site BTW.

at the moment i have svq level 3+4 in electrical engineering, hnc electronics with 17th edition.

im a maintenance engineer so work frequently with 3 phase and not so much on normal 230v

I did a job recently which was a conversion into flats. All was going well, builder liked the price, we were out on time, no comebacks, all NIC certs in. When we asked the builder when we could start the last flat ( price already accepted), we were told the agent had got one of his mates to do it. When we looked it was nothing like the spec we were following, Panda replaced MK, cable zones anywhere you like( in with hot pipes ), littered with faults and comebacks, Ive never seen so many 6.0mm earth wires, all over the shop...... dont know what to bond?... Bond it all. The company that did it were suposedly NIC. When I asked around,suprise suprise! Our Eastern friends again. Still they managed to shave 25% off our price. But they re- spent that and more on comeback calls. Glad to see I'm not the only one who's p***** off with them and wishes they'd go home to burn down houses there not here. The NIC should have spot checks at first fix stage to see who's really ballsing thses jobs up and covering it with plaster.

Reply to Bad Workmanship in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net