Discuss Priceing a insurance job in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

H

HMD

Hi all,
Bare in mind this place is a Bungalow on a caravan site which gets rented out in summer to god knows how many tenants.

Went to price the insurance job too day, water damage. 7 rooms with ceiling down and a right mess on the walls. Had a look around and the wiring is in a bit of a mess, No earth sleeving in sockets, switches or anything for that matter. DB is 30ma up front. Cable to whirl pool is cliped down wall with no mechanical protection or in any safe zones. Saw 2x Jbs in attic with no cover and the supply to whirl pool is connected to a flying rcd wrapped round a attic joist.
Supply to house comes from somewhere else and its just a 16mm 2core with a earth clamp on it which goes straight into a meter then 10m of tails through attic to db. these are the things i noticed before testing the place!

I know what needs to be done to rectify all the shabby workmanship but my question is this
How do u price it?
Do u Price for changing the fittings and issue a failed PIR or a minor works after changing only the affected rooms with recommendations?
Im sure the insurance company wont want to pay to make good bad workmanship wont they.................

Thank you in advance,
Hefin

i would price a rewire up mate just to be on safe side!! insurance tend to be bit iffy with quick fix solutions that could cause more problems in future!!

View attachment flood_advice.pdf

All the sockets and switches that have been affected will have to be changed anyway.

Things like cable, accessories and such can be risked assesd by you. How you can word it is that the dodgy installation worked as been assesed and in your opinion it is not safe, no insurance company wili not argue.

I've attached the ESC advice on this

Last edited:
Im with duram on this one by what you have said and the fact that water has been involved there is a good chance that the cabling could start to corrode especially at the accessiories and realy you dont want any costly recalls , the ceilings are down and by the sound of it the whole place needs redecorating so in my eye it would be silly not to rewire

I agree with all of the above but on your quotation, make it absolutely clear that your price relates ONLY to works within the bungalow.

We tested a similar sounding setup in the thick snow before Christmas and some of the defects in what is already a special location were rather concerning to say the least!

35 caravan pitches, 9 failed rcd's on the pitch supply pillars!

Been to a job with my old company, testing caravan sites. we were there for nearly 4days upgrading earth rods re connecting glands carrying out tests, changing rcds the list goes on. The year b4 the "Electrician" who usually did it was only there a hour. Customer asked us what was taking so long so i explained the different tests and why things needed to be upgraded and he said 'What was i paying the other guy for then.....'

Been to a job with my old company, testing caravan sites. we were there for nearly 4days upgrading earth rods re connecting glands carrying out tests, changing rcds the list goes on. The year b4 the "Electrician" who usually did it was only there a hour. Customer asked us what was taking so long so i explained the different tests and why things needed to be upgraded and he said 'What was i paying the other guy for then.....'

That is almost identical!
The site manager said 'will you be here all day?' I said 'we'll be here all week'!!!
The previous PIR was done in one day and was the usual toilet paper!

We had 49 Defects, including 15 code 2's and 3 code 1's

There was 2.5mm copper 'fuse wire' in BS 3036 holders, snapped earth rod connections, failed RCD's, you name it, all in what is really quite a high risk special location!

Reply to Priceing a insurance job in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net