Discuss How to turn a £500 job into a £5000 job? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

GBDamo

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Answer add three letters, NHS.

One of my common jobs is preparing the wiring for the installation of dental X-ray equipment and removal and disposal of the old equipment.

Typically a good mornings work, supply from an existing SFCU to the operator position (either above a ceiling or surface trunking) and a data cable run, all in the same room.

So at worst a couple of <10m MT2runs, the best was changing 3m of cable in the same trunking, off site in 90 mins.

Depending on milage a £500 job.

Essentially the same job, to the same standards but NHS.

Just bear in mind this is a single entry 3mx3m room.

Must now have a local two stage warning light, even though any interloper would have to pass the operator at the door.

Three point E-stop, one at X-ray, one on panel( no more than 1.5m from the other two) and one at operator position.

Start/stop and power on indicator at operator position.

All earthed via a clean earth EMB, in enclosure.

This is the panel.

20210625_102238.jpg

You wonder why theNHS is skint?

Answer add three letters, NHS.

One of my common jobs is preparing the wiring for the installation of dental X-ray equipment and removal and disposal of the old equipment.

Typically a good mornings work, supply from an existing SFCU to the operator position (either above a ceiling or surface trunking) and a data cable run, all in the same room.

So at worst a couple of <10m MT2runs, the best was changing 3m of cable in the same trunking, off site in 90 mins.

Depending on milage a £500 job.

Essentially the same job, to the same standards but NHS.

Just bear in mind this is a single entry 3mx3m room.

Must now have a local two stage warning light, even though any interloper would have to pass the operator at the door.

Three point E-stop, one at X-ray, one on panel( no more than 1.5m from the other two) and one at operator position.

Start/stop and power on indicator at operator position.

All earthed via a clean earth EMB, in enclosure.

This is the panel.

View attachment 87129

You wonder why theNHS is skint?
You getting £5k or it costing you £5k?

Interested to more about that switchgear setup.
That is an existing control panel, the company that made and installed it had quoted £5295 to install a second and the associated E-stops, warning light and start/stop.

Their quote was accepted but three years down the line they have yet to carry out the job so it's been offered to us.

I think that panel design can be tidied up a little, additional functionality.

I'd like to reconfigure the contactor so that if the stop is hit then the system has to be powered back up from the panel, to stop unauthorised people just pressing buttons in the corridor, but otherwise its just shameless plagiarism.

Friend supplies shower trays to hospitals. Buys them in a £360 .Sells them for £2k each . Thats why CV19 is loved by so many...... there is serious money to be made dealing with the NHS and some rather sexy wives available by all account !!

The NHS has been overpaying for goods and services for decades , I worked for a contractor and we did some work at my local hospital. The invoices were eye watering…

My Wife has worked in Operating Theatres for over 20 yrs
When She first started She asked me how much 1000 cable ties cost ?
100 of this particular size was just under £2.50 for 100

At the time they were only allowed to source them from an approved NHS supplier no doubt owned by the people that made these rules.

£68 per 1000 and these were used to tie the yellow bags for incineration.

Things are a little different now but prices for the NHS are grossly inflated still which is mad when you consider the buying power they should have as a whole

But a drop in the ocean when you look at the money spent on bank staff who largely should be employed direct
no doubt those at the top own these Bank staff agencies too.

My Wife has worked in Operating Theatres for over 20 yrs
When She first started She asked me how much 1000 cable ties cost ?
100 of this particular size was just under £2.50 for 100

At the time they were only allowed to source them from an approved NHS supplier no doubt owned by the people that made these rules.

£68 per 1000 and these were used to tie the yellow bags for incineration.

Things are a little different now but prices for the NHS are grossly inflated still which is mad when you consider the buying power they should have as a whole

But a drop in the ocean when you look at the money spent on bank staff who largely should be employed direct
no doubt those at the top own these Bank staff agencies too.
Bank staff / agency staff is border line scandal , A&E agency consultant doctors reportedly being billed out at £1000 per hour

I read in one newspaper one agency consultant doctor saying he got £25,000 for one weekend

Its Ok thou as it’s the NHS

The NHS is a Joke , always has been and has milked the current situation. Thousands of nurses have done bugger all for the last year etc . The "drama" was a great cover up to have a jolly and for those that can to become multi millionaires in hours.

The NHS is a Joke , always has been and has milked the current situation. Thousands of nurses have done bugger all for the last year etc . The "drama" was a great cover up to have a jolly and for those that can to become multi millionaires in hours.
One if the problems is they are replacing the evil middle aged white men, with technical knowledge, qualifications and experience, with young humanities graduates who haven't got a clue.

So you go from a technically driven procurement department, where knowledgeabel people specify what they need to a procedure driven department where things are ordered to meet a standard by people who don't know what they're getting.

25k for one weekend is nothing

A few years ago they had a "Waiting list initiative"

All Staff worked a few weekends doing Cataract operations to reduce the waiting list, which then was around 2 years.

Everyone got triple time.

Cataract Surgeons who were doing maximum 7 or 8 of these short procedures in a day and complaining about being overworked for around 3K each were now able to do 30 a day , triple time is a great motivator

9K for upto 30 minutes, some were shouting at the Nursing staff to move faster.

Initiative over back to 7 or 8 a day, one or two got MBE's for this service to the nation!

My better half says in last few years they had started to slow down the number of certain cases in a bid to pressure the Gov to reduce waiting lists but Covid came at the right time so now many will make a fortune.

Bank staff / agency staff is border line scandal , A&E agency consultant doctors reportedly being billed out at £1000 per hour

I read in one newspaper one agency consultant doctor saying he got £25,000 for one weekend

Its Ok thou as it’s the NHS
I did a years work of agency as a nurse in 2005. It was good pay, but not crazy. Perhaps double that of an employed nurse. The hospital simply had to employ us as they did not have enough staff. I also got to know the agency doctor quite well (I guess the equivalent of a GP grade). Well enough to ask him what he got paid. £150K p/year (in 2005). Very good, but not crazy. Recruitment and retention of nurses is awful, hence the need for agency.

There are cases of extremely high pay for agency, but these are generally certain agencies (Thornbury being one) on a certain day (Christmas etc).

I did a years work of agency as a nurse in 2005. It was good pay, but not crazy. Perhaps double that of an employed nurse. The hospital simply had to employ us as they did not have enough staff. I also got to know the agency doctor quite well (I guess the equivalent of a GP grade). Well enough to ask him what he got paid. £150K p/year (in 2005). Very good, but not crazy. Recruitment and retention of nurses is awful, hence the need for agency.

There are cases of extremely high pay for agency, but these are generally certain agencies (Thornbury being one) on a certain day (Christmas etc).

Have you considered how much the agencies earn from this type of employment?

Have you considered how much the agencies earn from this type of employment?
Very true! I'm sure I found out that once too, by asking the nurse manager what she paid for us. Cant remember what she said though! I do remember thinking that it wasn't an obscene mark up, but it was quite a bit none the less.

Very true! I'm sure I found out that once too, by asking the nurse manager what she paid for us. Cant remember what she said though! I do remember thinking that it wasn't an obscene mark up, but it was quite a bit none the less.

Agencies employ a small number of people to manage a significant amount of employment. Profits are considerable.

Reply to How to turn a £500 job into a £5000 job? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net