Discuss Business idea buzzing around in my head - opinions sought! in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Right, a few years back when I moved in with my partner, we had many problems with the oil boiler & central heating system which my partner had installed by an allegedly qualified OFTEC engineer. The list of problems we've had has ranged from the 'new' boiler not actually being new, it was an antiquated Worcester item that was already 12 years old when he installed it. Also the wrong oil tank type, and basically just various bits of rough pipework, rads on the **** etc.

I made enquiries with OFTEC and found that said engineer - a local man I might add - had since been struck off, even though he was still advertising his services as OFTEC qualified heating engineer in the local parish magazine! My partner, understandably thought that if she got local tradesmen in then she should be alright, after all, I personally wouldn't **** on my own doorstep, as it were.

(Can you see where this is going yet?)

In my opinion, word of mouth undoubtedly does more for local reputation and improving earning opportunities for self-employed folk than any amount spent on fancy ads and sign-writing on vans probably does. So the idea, which first entered my head long before anyone ever heard of Rated People, was to come up with an online way of introducing local tradesmen to local customers, but with some features to safeguard both trader and potential customer. The strap line I am working to is "word of mouth... online".

Please note that what is written below is not set in stone; I am merely opening this discussion to canvas opinion and ideas of people like yourselves whose participation is essential to make such a website feasible in the first place...

For a start, each tradesman/trader/trading company, would have to apply to be listed. As part of the application, each trader would be asked to supply their business particulars - trading name/company name and address, company registration. Additionally, to reassure people browsing the website as customers, the application process would also require the traders details of their public liability insurance cover (provider and policy number) as a minimum plus any other relevant mandatory insurance covers required for that traders' activities.

Also required would be membership/enrolment details for any mandatory regulatory bodies, i.e. gas engineers would be cross-checked on the GasSafe register.

Traders' would also be encouraged to supply references/testimonials, together with their source, which again, would be verified to make sure any appraisal given is genuine and accurate.

On successful application, the trader receives their own business page/profile, 80% of which the trader is free to modify/edit or otherwise customise. The other 20% would be maintained by the website and would contain non-changeable information such company details, details of insurance covers, customer references etc.

Any customers wishing to acquire the services of tradesmen through the site, likewise, will have to supply a few details and register for an online profile before being allowed full access to the site. There would be a means for each trader to leave feedback with their customers. Such details might include the customers address (my thinking is that traders might like be reassured by knowing that their customers are local and to see how other traders' have rated their experiences with particular customers etc.)

It goes without saying that NO personal or precise details submitted to the site would be publicly viewable; it would be merely for the host website to verify that people are who they say they are, after all the entire point would be to encourage open and honest transactions between customers and providers.

Like I say, none of the above is concrete, just a rough framework to add meat to.

The best way I could describe a proposed website would be like eBay - both traders and customers (buyers and sellers) have a profile, traders have their own business page (eBay shop) and anybody can leave feedback for anybody else for the benefit of others. The only difference is that instead of trading in physical items, this website would trade in services. My thinking is that any traders/tradesmen with a decent reputation and nothing to hide will have no objection at being asked to supply references/insurance details, and those that do can benefit from being introduced to a potential customer base through the internet.

If you've got any opinions or feedback to give, please do, I would be particularly interested in hearing about

- What you like about the proposals above;
- Anything in the above that would put you off using the site and why, and;
- What, if anything would encourage you to use the site that isn't there at the minute

Please state in what capacity the comments are made (i.e. whether you are making the comments from the POV of consumer or trader). All comments are welcome, as I wouldn't want to waste time on a non-starter.

Having said that, there is a line between constructive criticism and negativity/abuse and if you are the type that eats out on the latter - I have only been here a matter of days and have seen more than a few stirrers on here already - if this is you then quite simply don't bother.

Thanks in advance,

Ben :)

Mybuilder
Check a trade
Rated people

Lots of these already up and running. you're just a year or so behind the rest. As a tradesman it can be worth while, I have used my builder (no joining fee) and pay for leads if I am interested in the job. The only draw back is the customers don't pay which means they can quite happily waste your time.

Brief read through, first thing that hits me is how expensive a model that is going to be to run. Probably to the point it won't work with fewer than 5000 "paid" companies - since I presume your model includes to take even more money from tradesmen while guaranteeing nothing?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all up for entrepreneurship, and all up for "out there" business ideas, but this, sadly, isn't one. And the point above IS constructive.

I say it, because it's what almost every other "recommend a trade" site does, and nothing much you've written dissuades from that view. Soo....let's look at it line by line.

You got ripped off (your partner did) - that's tough, but the single best way of employing a local tradesman to work on your home remains word of mouth - not word of google, not word of Trust a Rated Trading People Builder Checker. Word of mouth. Most tradesmen, especially those operating man and a van type enterprises spend years cultivating their reputation, and don't really start to make money much before the five to ten year point. Fact.

What does that mean for a site such as you propose? Well, either not much, or a lot - much of which is negative. Why? The testimonials, presumably, are all chosen by the trader - no bad ones ever get through - human nature. Testimonials freely added? Even worse - any one person with a grudge and half an ounce of intelligence can kill that trader's reputation in seconds. Word of mouth? Nope. Just words on a screen and people are wise to the ease with which anyone can "create" a testimonial these days - anyone who can write a sentence can do it.

Okay, so you move to add value. Cross check with Mandatory or claimed associations/trade bodies - well. In simple terms, you're taking money off the trade to perform a very simple check anyone who chooses to be the least bit self informed would automatically do, at that body's own website, or with a quick phone call. I don't know of one such body that would deny a request for confirmation - free. After all the trades person has already paid for the privilege of wearing that badge.

A profile/listing - only has value if your Google Page Rank and back links are hella strong - otherwise pretty meaningless, at best, and actually damaging to the trades person's domain. A simple domain link as an inline text link would do more good and would potentially help SEO for the trade, IF Google doesn't dismiss you as just another directory site - which, effectively, you would be.

I can also pretty much guarantee (given a big part of my business IS security) that NO customer is likely to want to advertise their full address in association with expensive works completed = in drug user speak, that's simply "Hey, we have money - come and rob us". Pretty dumb move.

The model, as described is also fraught with potential Data Protection issues - purely on what you're proposing to reveal, much less how you store it securely.

The reason, by the way, an open feedback model works on eBay, and wouldn't work on something like trade services is simply that eBay trades in products largely, which are either as described, or not. They're tangible, and have the benefit of buyers generally already knowing what something looks, feels, and works like. Not so with trade work.

In conclusion.... I can see very little to benefit either the trade or the customer. I can see a world of pain for you when trades complain about negative reviews, and customer complain about no negative reviews. I can see trades asking exactly what they get for their...what, ÂŁ50 a year...ÂŁ100? fee - and to be honest, I can see customers using you only as comparison with other similar sites at best - which doesn't inspire their loyalty in any way, and again, leaves less for the trade to compel you to him.

Of course, the real problem here isn't so much that fools cannot be parted from their money - they can - it's that Rated People got there before you - having the idea is only half the battle - doing it first is the winner (or loser).

Ultimately - really not a flier. Sorry.

Thanks for the reply accordfire - I was expecting someone to come along and shoot me down! Thanks for taking the time not just to read my opening post, but for replying in such depth also. While I take on board some of your points, which I hadn't considered and are very valid, some points you've raised I think could apply to the 'traditional' methods of finding tradesmen.

I was very much aware of the fact that the ship may have already sailed, but I had thought that as word of mouth was the biggest asset a tradesman could have, there was no reason why a locally-tailored website, with local people's reviews couldn't work and benefit both local consumers and local tradesmen. The crux of the idea was that consumers generally use the internet now either to source or at least compare prices/quality on most things now, so why couldn't the honest tradesman have a slice of the pie as well?

Word of mouth would be the selling point for anybody on the site, the difference is, instead of going down the pub and hearing about 'Pete the handyman' from someone you probably don't know - and could be Pete's best mate - over half a shandy, instead you could read about it online, see whether or not 'Pete the handyman' is insured, and comes recommended by other locals - and all done on your laptop in the comfort of your own home.

I take on board your view on the security side of things - of course I would never reveal intimate details, the details would only be known to the website working as an intermediary between customer and trader.

I am actually a time-served electrician myself and have spent some time doing self-employed work and know plenty of self-employed electricians - in fact there are so many that live on our cul de sac I'm almost tempted to apply to have the road re-named 'Electric Avenue' - so please don't think I've just leapt in here looking for people to make the numbers up - I've thought about the idea with genuine intent and would only pursue the idea if the were real benefits for everybody involved in making it work - I'm not on here to 'dip into the trade's coffers' to make a quick buck - I'm in the trade myself!

I will research the idea a bit further, as much as I respect you for replying and your opinion, I think I would like to see more than one person's views before I kick it into the long grass, after all, there's not much you've said that couldn't be applied to the Yellow Pages - but it doesn't stop thousands paying to be listed each year does it? And can you tell me any marketing tool that CAN guarantee you a return for your investment?

The only difference is if you ring someone up in the Yellow Pages you're on your own, at least with my website, there would be an onus on the traders to deliver a good service, with the carrot being that you get good feedback and hopefully, much more repeat business.

Reply to Business idea buzzing around in my head - opinions sought! in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net