Discuss Can a voltage meter damage an RCD ? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Today I used a Fluke voltage meter on a couple of 30mA ABB RCD 's to see if there was any voltage coming out it tripped out now it doesnt trip when testing on my megger MFT 1552. Could I have damaged them with the voltage tester ?

Many thanks Danny

dont have the fluke meter myself but if it has other settings that you went through while leads were in place you may have damaged it or if you carried out the wrong test accidently
Dont forget to check your mft 1552 is ok an a known working rcd just to rule out this possibility

Today I used a Fluke voltage meter on a couple of 30mA ABB RCD 's to see if there was any voltage coming out it tripped out now it doesnt trip when testing on my megger MFT 1552. Could I have damaged them with the voltage tester ?

Many thanks Danny

If you have the instruction booklet for the voltage tester see how much current it draws, had similiar problems with voltage tester every time it was because the test instrument draw 15mA, that why I use martindale GS 38 voltage tester now that only draws 5 mA max.

You tester could be drawing sufficient current to cause the RCD to trip.

But if this is the case, if there was an rcd main switch (more likely 100mA), surely if you tested for voltage on any circuit fed through it, it's possible that the rcd would be damaged. Don't understand:confused:.

But if this is the case, if there was an rcd main switch (more likely 100mA), surely if you tested for voltage on any circuit fed through it, it's possible that the rcd would be damaged. Don't understand:confused:.

Your original question stated that you tested a 30 mA RCD, which I answered, that some test meter and voltage indicator draw 15mA or more to function, and this is sufficient current to cause nuisance tripping of RCD.

As a result when I bought a GS38 voltage indicator I chose one that only requires 5mA for it to function.

Check you manual or search the internet to see what current you tester etc draws.

Where does the 100 mA comes from ? can not help if you move the goal posts.

Lets get back to the original question. The basic answer is that you may well trip the RCD if you test line to earth or nutral to earth (depending, as stated above, on the current drawn by your voltage tester) That is not the point. The question you ask is could you have damaged the RCDs. The answer is not with a voltage tester.

You can however seriously damage an RCD with an Insulation Tester. RCDs must be disconnected before making an insulation test on any circuit connected to them.

Reply to Can a voltage meter damage an RCD ? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net