Discuss CCTV HD (long cable runs) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm helping on a large industrial site upgrading the existing cctv system to HD however i can't get some of the new camera's to work! Do HD IR cameras take much more power to operate? should a higher spec power supply be installed? I suspect that the cable runs are too long causing decreased power getting to the camera as they work fine if i plug straight into DVR? what is the usual way of combating this problem? My wiring is shotgun coaxial with runs unto 80M. Should i consider installing local power supply?

I'm using COP HD-SDI 1080 12v DC 380mA dome camera's with an Inspire DVR.

My power supply is a 10way 1A per channel supplying 10 cameras.

Regards

HD camera runs are limited to 100m coaxial runs, but can be extended up to 400m with hd boasters.
Local psu`s always help on voltage drop, but are usually ok for 50m, depending on cable size.
HD cameras will only work on HD DVR`s...old analogue dvr will show distort or no video.

Start with basic, voltage checks at camera & psu`s. continuity test`s of rg59 coax....worth buying a cheap test monitor, ebay or maplins to test and setup positions of camera.

For SDI cameras the first check you need to make is the coax it must be RG59 with solid central core it will not work reliably if At all on old URM stranded core. Then check your dvr is SDI, if not using a monitor connected by hdmi the monitor will also need to be SDI.

SDI cameras don't generally work on test monitors check the instructions for the cameras to see if there's an uncompressed test monitor connection

Good point on the test monitors only being Analogue, we mainly use Night Devil HD with separate composite test output, so they work fine for setting up

Check voltages, new bnc's if voltages ok. Local psu may help, get a monitor with a 12v output on it and try power the camera from that and see if it works back at the dvr. You can either rule out power then or get a psu closer. Get a booster on the go, and see if that helps, if power is ruled out.

We've been using hikvision "turbo" stuff lately, runs down anything analouge does but still hd. Loses a bit of colour though, a small price to pay for generally a straight forward install.

You will need a signal booster I would give the company who made the cameras a call and speak to their technical to see what they recommend

Reply to CCTV HD (long cable runs) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net