Discuss Certification of domestic fire alarm system in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

SensesFailYou

Hi guys

iv not been long registered with the niceic and have just recently completed a re-wire incorporating interlinked fire alarms with battery backups and one heat alarm. I installed the fire alarms on both the upstairs and downstairs landing and the heat alarm in the kitchen.

i am now completing the certificate of design, installation and commissioning of a fire detection and alarm system of grade B,C,D,E or F in a Dwelling.

I have a few questions which are asfollows:

1) system Grade I have set this as D and the category of LD2 (as its to protect life) is this correct?

2) commissioning. I have done the tests but as for the sound test I do not have a sound level meter so I did not complete this for bedroom sound? Obviously I could hear them clearly in the bedrooms but I have no model number of a meter to record for this?? What do I do? (Obviously buy one!)

3) user instructions: is it just a case of researching the relevant bits and creating a user document to include in my hand over?

4) I noticed there are no boxes for comments? I strongly advised the clients to add carbon detectors as they had a gas fire but they said they will eventually and did not want me to install them or wire them? Where can I record this as I couldn't stress enough the importance to them!

Im sure ill have some questions with regards to writing user instructions!

many thanks guys

Grade - only you know, as you designed/installed it.
Sound level - if BS endorsed alarms/sounders, they will, or should, be loud enough.
User instructions. Give them all of the paperwork enclosed with the products, and also a short note saying how and when to test and reset etc.
CO detectors are out of scope for electricians without any special training - how could you measure the residual value without a gas analyser? Leave that to the gas man.

tippex out the bits you don't want. scan it and over print your own company details etc.

Hi guys

iv not been long registered with the niceic and have just recently completed a re-wire incorporating interlinked fire alarms with battery backups and one heat alarm. I installed the fire alarms on both the upstairs and downstairs landing and the heat alarm in the kitchen.

i am now completing the certificate of design, installation and commissioning of a fire detection and alarm system of grade B,C,D,E or F in a Dwelling.

I have a few questions which are asfollows:

1) system Grade I have set this as D and the category of LD2 (as its to protect life) is this correct?

2) commissioning. I have done the tests but as for the sound test I do not have a sound level meter so I did not complete this for bedroom sound? Obviously I could hear them clearly in the bedrooms but I have no model number of a meter to record for this?? What do I do? (Obviously buy one!)

3) user instructions: is it just a case of researching the relevant bits and creating a user document to include in my hand over?

4) I noticed there are no boxes for comments? I strongly advised the clients to add carbon detectors as they had a gas fire but they said they will eventually and did not want me to install them or wire them? Where can I record this as I couldn't stress enough the importance to them!

Im sure ill have some questions with regards to writing user instructions!

many thanks guys

I will commend you for a having a go, and taking the job on, it is probably the best way to learn. BUT, it is a variation of a theme when we come to electrical installation, and there are other factors to consider.

If you are going to make a habit of stepping out of the comfort zone, than do as i did and research it a bit before you jump in. Fire Alarms, emergency lighting, to name but a few, are nice easy jobs to do but they also have additional requirements over and above BS7671, and it has to be cock on once its completed. If something goes wrong, then the outcome could be horrendous, and not just for the occupants, but for you as well if you get it wrong. Ignorance is not an acceptable form of defence.

I am not trying to tell you how or what to do, just trying to help you sleep a bit better at night.

Cheers............Howard

Reply to Certification of domestic fire alarm system in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net