Discuss CHAS Membership - who's got it? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I'm trying to set it all up now but it's really unclear with the forms whether or not risk assessment and all that stuff is required as a sole trader. I've also read on some sites that 80% of applications are rejected and then you need to pay another £60 to resubmit so I don't want to do that!

I have no H&S qualifications (apart from an old working at height certificate) and no employees to look after so it really should be simpler than this.

If there's anyone on here who's registered with CHAS as a sole trader could you please pop your head up and tell me if you had to do a course or anything to get through it, or did you just put down on the application that you're responsible for everything, sign the declaration for the "competent construction advice" and put a risk assessment in?

I need to get on this tender list sharpish and all this paperwork is doing my nut in

I'm trying to set it all up now but it's really unclear with the forms whether or not risk assessment and all that stuff is required as a sole trader. I've also read on some sites that 80% of applications are rejected and then you need to pay another £60 to resubmit so I don't want to do that!

I have no H&S qualifications (apart from an old working at height certificate) and no employees to look after so it really should be simpler than this.

If there's anyone on here who's registered with CHAS as a sole trader could you please pop your head up and tell me if you had to do a course or anything to get through it, or did you just put down on the application that you're responsible for everything, sign the declaration for the "competent construction advice" and put a risk assessment in?

I need to get on this tender list sharpish and all this paperwork is doing my nut in

dont think it matters if your a sole trader or ltd they still want to see that you have in place the correct paper work..im ltd and have chas and got it first time round (luck maybe) but they did ask if i had any tranning on asbestos whitch i replied got the site safety plus cert. and they want to see an adviser (H&S) who know what they are tyalking about , it is more monies having one but you can talk to them and if any problems you can get him /her to adviss you on. i just took my time and filled out the paper work myself.....good luck .

Did you pay for an advisor then? I assume just one of these online companies? It's all mounting up, this and constructionline membership and all - bloody council!

It gives all these extra questions and asking about qualifications if your career is construction related. All the work I do is on existing buildings so not really sure if that's construction related or not :S I've never needed to wear a hard hat so I would say no!

EDIT: It looks like the construction stuff needs doing too

The installation, commissioning, maintenance, repair or removal of mechanical, electrical, gas, compressed air, hydraulic, telecommunications, computer or similar services which are normally fixed within or to a structure.

Last edited:
This will not really help you But when I set up last year or so ago I got registered then got" trustmark"

Basically you are payimg money to have a nice sticker on your van. Did the ecs card test (health and safety to

work on building sites)

Looked into council work and Chas then thought sod it I have 3 separate bodies to say my work and health

and safety are up to standard and this is just another money extracting exercise with NO guarantee that they

the council will give you any work. Round my way it seems you can only work for the council if you are into

incest :)

Yes it is a load of bull but unfortunately 95% of my work is through the council and they've started to get very funny about approved contractor lists (which I'm not on). I avoided it for years too thinking that not being on the lists wasn't going to lose me several hundred pounds of business (which it costs to join all the stupid things). It's more a case of keeping the customers I have than trying to get new ones so I'll give it a go for a year or two. Just don't want to be throwing money away on retests etc, it seems so over the top. I'm a one man band with a ladder and a drill answering questions on my recycling policies and what I do to avoid polluting water.

My health and safety is simple, I tell everyone to bugger off so it's only me in there and if I get hurt it's my own stupid fault (but don't let them see you putting the step ladders up on 2 tables when you can't reach something :p )

Reply to CHAS Membership - who's got it? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net