Discuss Hi all! Old(ish) spark looking to go it alone but unsure where to start? in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

The guy I work for works off honesty and keeping things flexible. In this case, it will work in my favour. The last place I was at (for 6 years) frowned upon it if it infringed on the employers needs.

But, it was a company where, if you were a mate of the boss you could pretty much do what you wanted.

I wasn't a mate of the boss and didn't want to be either.. Not that kind of guy.
No brown nosing here....

Item 10: So I'll be completing a job then asking the customer to allow me to come back to be assessed on it at a later date?
You get to decide which job you show the assessor. I would think the vast majority of electricians on this site adhere to the regulations on all jobs, but there are some jobs you do where you just know you ticked all the boxes and there's no grey areas, so pick that job. Remember it at the time and make a note so you don't forget that that is the job you want to show the assessor. Perhaps a bit over the top, but it means I don't have to think back over all the jobs before assessment time.

Yes, you just let the customer know, or rather you ask their permission. You can let them know at the time that this may be a job that gets assessed, or at a later date. No customer has said 'no' so far.

You get to decide which job you show the assessor. I would think the vast majority of electricians on this site adhere to the regulations on all jobs, but there are some jobs you do where you just know you ticked all the boxes and there's no grey areas, so pick that job. Remember it at the time and make a note so you don't forget that that is the job you want to show the assessor. Perhaps a bit over the top, but it means I don't have to think back over all the jobs before assessment time.

Yes, you just let the customer know, or rather you ask their permission. You can let them know at the time that this may be a job that gets assessed, or at a later date. No customer has said 'no' so far.
This is absolutely fantastic information! I wasn't aware of this at all and was worried about how I would show them a job I hadn't even looked at yet.

Ok, I think I have enough information to actually start the ball rolling on my new venture thanks to you guys! :)
I will print off the crucial details on here and ring that accountant in the morning.

Onwards and upwards!

Sorry to keep harping on but does anyone care to offer insight into going with either NAPIT or NICEIC?

Do certain potential clientele prefer one over the other at all? I know that NICEIC is more established so more popular.....
For the majority of electricians it really makes no difference who you are registered with. We just go with the cheapest, as all we want to do is be able to notify our work. However, I have seen one or two threads on here over the years where certain estate agents have stipulated an NICEIC electrician. That may well just be a mistake on their part, thinking that the NICEIC is the only registration body though. Others may have first hand knowledge of this.

I suppose if the prices are similar then it makes sense for you to choose NICEIC as the name is more recognised. I can't see it being a problem either way though.

Hi all.

Just thought I would do a little update.

So I've set up both my public liability and public indemnity insurance (2 mil and 250k respectively), health & safety policy and complaints procedure documents.
I just need to get my risk assessment documents written out, get a UTR number and register with NAPIT.

I have my own MFT but its a Kewtech and I'm not really happy with it to be honest.
It tends to give wildly varying readings whereas the Megger MFT I use with my current employer is much more stable and has never let me down.
I'll probably end up buying my own Megger if I'm honest and along with it will come a current calibration certificate. :)

I have a family member (from my biological fathers side) who I'm in contact with and he wants me to look a full rewire next week in a 3 bed terraced which is a nice start.

I can use that rewire to show to the NAPIT assessor.....

Anyone help with a typical price for rewiring a 3 bed terraced up north?
Obviously pricing is something I'm going to have to get my head around pretty quickly!!

There was a link to a YouTube video on here somewhere from some spark discussing pricing for a rewire on a reasonable sized property. He had priced it on time & materials but underestimated the time for various reasons, also he gave example of what it would have been doing per-point pricing and it was not massively different.

If it is for a friend/family you can afford to be a little less critical to price it in order to have something for the assessor, so probably worth looking at both approaches. Get a reasonably detailed list of what has to be done in terms of room sizes, fittings, number of circuits, etc, and make up a parts list for the big stuff. Then try to guess the little stuff (grommets, clips, label tape, etc) but remember it often adds up to more than you expect!

Try to guess at the time it will take, but probably it will be estimated in days (and probably wrong) and then see what it comes to.

Then try the same based on, say, £50 per point. See what sounds reasonable and believable.

Prices mentioned on here vary by a large degree depending on region, size of property, if occupied or not (and if the client is a likely pain in the posterior). But I see CU changes in the £0.5-1k range, and rewire in the £4-15k range.

Others on here who do this work professionally may be willing to give you some guidance in a less-public manner than posting here.

Reply to Hi all! Old(ish) spark looking to go it alone but unsure where to start? in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net