Discuss Choosing an electric towel rail element in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Dotchas

DIY
Reaction score
We have an electric towel rail where the element has gone. An electrician has said we would be as well changing the towel rail too. But there is nothing wrong with it. He says its hard to get the right element, is this true or is he pilling a fast one? I thought you just bought the correct wattage?
Elements around 30 to 40
New towel rail around 100

Thank you

Last edited:
should be able to get one if we knew the make and model of the towel rail.

If it's a big brand name item then elements should be available. If it's a little know or Chinese rebranded item then probably not available. As per DefyG above, it's possibly not a job to do on site, I know if I was replacing a towel rail element I'd want to run it for at least an hour to check for oil leaks and the labour costs might make the repairs not viable. My rule of thumb is I advise the customer they might want to consider a new replacement if the repair is going to cost >50% of the cost of a new one because that's about the area when they're possibly over-capitalising on the old item.

Elements are usuallyyyyyy universal, match the wattage of the old one roughly when buying a new one, not had any trouble with the cheap ones from screwfix ir toolstation, but a brand called terma are good

I wired mine in through a timer. Greenbrook do a nice one - Greenbrook timer
Bought my timer off ebay for 99p faulty. Changed the dropper capacitor on the board and works as good as new :)

I wired mine in through a timer. Greenbrook do a nice one - Greenbrook timer
Bought my timer off ebay for 99p faulty. Changed the dropper capacitor on the board and works as good as new :)

still not a thermostat.
but i also like the greenbrook timer as its dificult to find timers with a easy boost function.

Reply to Choosing an electric towel rail element in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net