Discuss Coloured, double insulated singles... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

Richard

Has anyone ever come across them?

Initially, I was convinced that someone had wired the lighting in this house in SINGLES twisted perfectly together. However on further investigation, it turned out to be coloured, double insulated singles. It looks horendous in the attic, but they tested out fine, so would I be right in saying that they're perfectly acceptable?

Thank you

Used to use them all the time ,Crompare RED anyone(or something like that)?? Singles red/brown with earth insulated with grey....
New installs rarely require these cables but are still in use. singles earth.jpg

Your thinking of 6241Y, the OP was saying they were twisted together perfectly so i can't see it being that?

Yes exactly that' but maybe without earth, but it sounds like the cables have been twisted mechanically doesn't it? Hand drill/battery drill etc....

Sparks years ago had time on their hands not like today just look at the "belt buckle clip" you got to love those installs!!

In my experience I have seen red/red double insulated , do you have the type of cable it is? solid/twisted what insulated colours?

As long as you have an earth in both cables as potentially you could cut/damage one and cause problems.Vermin!
If it is easy to replace ...personally I would..

Sorry, to clarify, there was CPC present.

They didn't have a grey sheath. They instead had a couloured sheath (either red or black). As I said, I was absolutly convinced someone had wired the place in Single insulated conduit cables!

It looked like they have been machine twisted as they were perfectly formed, as if they'd come straight off a drum.

Wish i'd got a photo of it now!!

You live and you learn huh!

Edit: The cpc was another single twisted with the other two if that makes sense, so it wasn't 'Within' the other sheath..

I certainly agree, a picture would instantly connect withmost of.
My best purchase was a smart phone...everything now gets photographed and put right.....Only because some customers can't think of what it looked like before...

"Omg thats much better,have a drink on me!! " £5 tip....

Yes exactly that' but maybe without earth, but it sounds like the cables have been twisted mechanically doesn't it? Hand drill/battery drill etc....

Sparks years ago had time on their hands not like today just look at the "belt buckle clip" you got to love those installs!!

In my experience I have seen red/red double insulated , do you have the type of cable it is? solid/twisted what insulated colours?

As long as you have an earth in both cables as potentially you could cut/damage one and cause problems.Vermin!
Used to use the buckle clips myself and you could make a lovely job with them. When the tower clips came along we hated them because you couldn't make such a good job!

Double insulated singles definately don't have or need an internal earth with them, they have been twisted together anyways.

My house lighting is almost totally wired in 'single and earth' as in the picture. There is a network of black core going to each light fitting for neutrals, and the switches have a totally separate line network, they even go via totally different routes from the CU. When I tested it all a few years back I was convinced there would be issues, but it all tested fine. There have been occasions when I could have used some of this on jobs....not often....but it seems unfashionable these days!

Reply to Coloured, double insulated singles... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net