Search for tools and product advice,

Discuss conduit earths?????? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

c.boy

-
Reaction score
Work for my local council, job includes upgrade 2 consumer units 1 storage heating (5 way), 1 domestic c/u 9 circiuts used, 2 spare (11 way d/b). 6mm earth to water so upgraded to 10mm .obviouslly no gas main!! rewire kitchen this involves...

3x double sockets
3x fused spurs and outlets for washing machine,extractor fan and fridge freezer.
cooker outlet and cooker connection unit.
new extractor fan.
new light switch and baton holder
All new points wraggled into black brick!!!!!

Bathroom

new ip light fitting
re-route 2 down flow heater supplys
re-new main earth bond

TODAY I REWIRED THE KITCHEN AS THE OLD CIRCUITS WERE USING THE CONDUIT AS C.P.C.SO 8MTS OF 6MM2 (COOKER) ,2 NEW LEGS FOR NEW KITCHEN RING 14MTS OF 2.5MM2 AND NEW WATER HEATER SUPPLY 10MTS OF 2.5MM2 TWIN AND EARTH.ALSO 7MTS OF 10MM2 FOR WATER BOND!!RE-ROUTE OLD CABLING FOR SOCKET CIRCUIT TO COMPLETE EXISTING RING!!AS AM NOT ALLOWED TO RE-WIRE COUNCIL POLICY NOT MINE EVEN THO EVERY PLACE A VISIT NEEDS IT!!!

2 x100% HARD WIRING TESTS ON EACH CONSUMER UNIT

Now remembering that am on my own!!! pulling in new cables is a nightmare!!!! i have a time limit of 2 and a half days!!! to complete this job!!!!Just out of intrest if i was to work for myself how much could i make??? as every time a get a job its getting like challenge Anneka!!!:rolleyes:

P.s i will do this and to a bloody good standard but feel like a should be making myself rich instead of the council, your prices would be intresting to know!!!!

sorry i totally went off my origional point!!!!!!!!!!!!!! which was the council gaffers tell me that i am not req and dont need to rewire the cicuits even tho the conduit is the earth!!!i tottally disagree and for my own peace of mind will rewire these circuits everytime!!!!i have not done my 17th yet am i right or wrong???im not a great fan of using dodgy old pipework as c.p.c!!!!

thanks one burnt out spark!!!!:(

thanks!

Last edited:
as far as im aware,you can use the conduit as the earth.
it has to be inspected throughout its length and a continuity test earth (r2) and Zs

although i would prefer seperate earths, as the inspection throughout its length isnt always an option

as far as im aware,you can use the conduit as the earth.
it has to be inspected throughout its length and a continuity test earth (r2) and Zs

although i would prefer seperate earths, as the inspection throughout its length isnt always an option

If a separate cpc is installed, it is unlikely ever to be used in the event of a fault as the galvanised conduit has a much larger csa (even considering the fact that it is not copper). There is absolutely nothing untoward with properly installed galvanised conduit being used as a cpc, and indeed it is required to be properly earthed regardless.

I thought that it was now a requirement that every new circuit installed under 17th must have its own cpc, whether or not the cables run in earthed metallic conduit/trunking.

I thought that it was now a requirement that every new circuit installed under 17th must have its own cpc, whether or not the cables run in earthed metallic conduit/trunking.

Circuits using SWA, Pyro sheath or conduit do have their own cpc. It simply isn't a core of the cable.

Reply to conduit earths?????? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net