Discuss consumer unit replacement in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
been to price a job today on initial chat with customer over the phone they described the job as 3 extra sockets, new cooker circuit install downlights and extractor fan in the bathroom and a new consumer unit. on arrival at the property first thing i noticed in the hallway was a wylex 16th edition split load cu. sockets already rcd protected spare way to connect cooker circuit too and easy replacement of upstairs lighting mcb with an rcbo when i questioned customer as to why they wanted a new consumer unit reply was because the other 3 electricians who quoted for the job all said we needed one! am i missing something here or are they all taking the pee

I think they're looking for extra work, to make the board '17th edition compliant' you'd only need a converter kit to install a extra RCD or (better and won't be much more expensive) add 2/3 RCBOs.

thats what i thought even if i was looking for extra work still wouldnt dream of changing consumer unit! allowed for 2 rcbos in price gave customer price there and then needless to say that as it was about 300 quid cheaper than everyone else they accepted

Good for you. I have had to convince at least a couple of customers a rewire not required as previous electricians had said they need one because of an older re-wirable board, all suggested with no testing whatsover!

Everyone needs to make a crust, but I like sleeping soundly at night as well lol

I was in the same scenario few weeks ago, turned up to a job after a phone call needing a rewire. Quick insulation test of l&n to cpc and was reading globally 47mo.When I asked why they wanted a quote the said last guy came to put a light up and said it needed rewire at the cost of £2500 and he didnt even ask to see DB. Winds you up it really does

thats what i thought even if i was looking for extra work still wouldnt dream of changing consumer unit! allowed for 2 rcbos in price gave customer price there and then needless to say that as it was about 300 quid cheaper than everyone else they accepted

I think your right actually, no need to replace the db as you mentioned.

Reply to consumer unit replacement in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net