Discuss Correct way of routing SWA supply for flats ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi Fellow electricians, I’m recently qualified and I would like clarification on swa supplies for flats, my boss says this is okay but I’m not sure. So my question is if my supply is downstairs can I run my SWA through joists under floor boards and stud wall cavities without rcd protection. it will be down fused as it’s longer than 3metres any advice or regulation numbers would be greatly appreciated thanks.

A further clue using terms in BS7671:
RCD's are generally required for 3 reasons:
a) Fault protection / Zs too high
b) Because it's specifically required (e.g. as socket circuits up to 32A are, or some special locations)
c) Selection and Erection of Equipment / External Influences / Impact protection

The 3rd one is the one to look up to answer the question from @snowhead

Thanks for the reply I’ll just shoot myself maybe I’ll find an answer in hell

Welcome to the forum mate.
They have answered your question... Not directly, but the best way possible, by making you learn.
Do you have a copy of the regs book?

Hi Spoon thanks for the reply I do have a regs book, maybe I’m not seeing it then ah well I’ll take a gamble haha

No point in having a forum if all answers are in a book…
Welcome to the forum mate.
They have answered your question... Not directly, but the best way possible, by making you learn.
Do you have a copy of the regs book?

Hi Spoon thanks for the reply I do have a regs book, maybe I’m not seeing it then ah well I’ll take a gamble haha

No point in having a forum if all answers are in a book…
In your original post you asked for regs numbers. here you are: 522.6.204
That is actually the "exceptions to the above" reg, having said in previous regs what has to have RCD protection.

(I didn't have my book with me earlier. I did tell you Selection and Erection of Equipment / External Influences / Impact protection which I hoped would take you to the section 5 index page and you could find your way from there. )

Or see this, you can skip to 26 minutes.

It's pre amendment 2, but it will do fine.

Reply to Correct way of routing SWA supply for flats ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net