Discuss Corrigendum to BS_7671:2018+A2:2022 in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Thanks for the heads up!

I had a look at the IET press release, here: https://www.------.org/media/press-releases/press-releases-2023/press-releases-2023-april-june/9-may-2023-iet-bsi-publish-corrigendum-to-bs-76712018-iet-wiring-regulations/

Of note (my emphasis in bold):
"Indent (ii) of Regulation 443.4.1 has been removed. The term safety service, formerly included in Regulation 443.4.1 (ii), encompassed a wide range of systems. The provision, therefore, had unintended consequences for improvements to fire safety systems within installations."
I wonder if this relates to the situation where the option of putting in mains-powered smoke/heat alarms is dismissed because of the faff/expense of having to fit an SPD (to comply with this Reg), and either you end up with battery alarms, or none at all.

I guess we'll find out on Monday!

Edit: Lol, the forum bans links to the organisation (the IET) that produces the Wiring Regs... that's... pretty poor, really.

i think it’s the IET stopping the links as someone complained about the same problem but on instagram

No, it is this site. If you use a URL shortening site it works.

Having said that, the IET broke their own forum by changing things so many we searches point to now-vanished pages. So much for digital resources outlasting papyrus...

I’ve just seen a post on another site that suggests a rewrite on AFDD’s - as now being mandatory not advisory on all socket outlets etc. Anyone else able to verify??!

It’s out now it seems no SPD is required for fire or security alarms any more.

443.4.1 Transient overvoltages due to the effects of indirect lightning strokes
Protection against transient overvoltages shall be provided where the consequence caused by the overvoltage could result in:
(i) serious injury to, or loss of, human life
(ii) failure of a safety service, as defined in Part 2 Deleted by BS 7671:2018+A2:2022, Corrigendum
(May 2023)
(iii) significant financial or data loss.

if the owner declines an SPD we can no longer insist due to smoke alarms installed?

Reply to Corrigendum to BS_7671:2018+A2:2022 in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net