Discuss Customer not paying, hanged up on me. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

No you may not legally remove the cable,unless you can return the premises to the exact condition they were in before you started.Typically this can mean for example if you have drilled holes in the brickwork to get the cable in then you must remove said bricks and replace them with bricks that match the original,you may not fill the holes with mortar as they were not filled with mortar before.This may sound petty,but that's how bad it can get in a court case.The BIG mistake you made in this situation is doing the work without written authorisation.Basically in a court of law a verbal agreement isn't worth the paper it should have been written on.I bet I know what's happened here,there has been some misunderstanding regarding the cost of the job and now the guy doesn't want to pay,the tenant shouldn't have to pay as I would assume that he's renting a property that includes utilities,gas,water,electricity.You appear to be between a rock and a hard place,however I would strongly recommend that you go down the legal route or you could be the one in court.

Sorry, but that is bo$$ox. In a small claims court, the landlord wouldn't have a leg to stand on. Been there....done it. A verbal agreement IS a contract.

with difficulty. but i'm old school. my word is my bond. a verbal contract and a handshake means to me that only serious illness or death would prevent me from completing my obligation. if t'other party reneges, then serious injury or death might result.

How can a verbal contract be proved in court?

I found this on Yahoo for you:

A contract may be made:

1) In writing
2) Verbally
3) By the conduct pf the parties

Even if the contract is made verbally still protects you under the law of contract. After all when you fo shopping you made verbal contracts all the time and contracts by conduct. If these were not enforceable at law we would all be in trouble including the shopkeepers!

So, an oral contract is enforceable like any other. The problem with them is in the absence of a written agreement it is harder to prove. You need evidence. Consider the following:

1. Do you have any witnesses?
2. Do you have any receipts?
3. Was anymore there when the contract was made?
4. How did you pay? If you paid by cheque, credit card or other method then this all serves as evidence.

with difficulty. but i'm old school. my word is my bond. a verbal contract and a handshake means to me that only serious illness or death would prevent me from completing my obligation. if t'other party reneges, then serious injury or death might result.
and a holiday at her majesty's expense!

I found this on Yahoo for you:

A contract may be made:

1) In writing
2) Verbally
3) By the conduct pf the parties

Even if the contract is made verbally still protects you under the law of contract. After all when you fo shopping you made verbal contracts all the time and contracts by conduct. If these were not enforceable at law we would all be in trouble including the shopkeepers!

So, an oral contract is enforceable like any other. The problem with them is in the absence of a written agreement it is harder to prove. You need evidence. Consider the following:

1. Do you have any witnesses?
2. Do you have any receipts?
3. Was anymore there when the contract was made?
4. How did you pay? If you paid by cheque, credit card or other method then this all serves as evidence.

Contract was made on phone, nobody else was there. Although the landlord came on site and had a look at what I was doing.

Unless the landlord denies that the work has been done, which is very unlikely and would present a totally different case, the only argument is about how much is owed. This is the matter discussed and decided upon in a small claims court.

I will have to start recording all my phone calls. I know you need concent but who cares, there's apps that do it all automatically.

More important to get your visits to site, times on site, materials used and general costs together in a file, making it simple to follow and understand. All good evidence.

Reply to Customer not paying, hanged up on me. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net