Discuss Cutting off Moulded Plug Top from appliance in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

It has only been the last 25 years that manufacturers have been required to supply equipment with plugs fitted (where not inappropriate). How to wire a plug was taught to all pupils aged 14 when I was at school, so it should be the case that anyone over 39 is competent to do this (though, unfortunately, experience shows this is not always the case). But it's OTT/ unreasonable for the same manufacturers to now insist on a certificate from an NICIEC member when they used to make everyone fit their own plugs to their products.

...Been cutting off plug tops since i was a kid,never needed any permission...the only reason i stuck with this,is that fantastic "Allo Allo" phrase,of Goog Morning...i will be using that all next week :smile5:
Yep made me chuckle. Left it in when I copied & pasted, to see i anyone would notice! :)

Last edited:
Howdens (Lamona appliances)

Good Afternoon,

Many thanks for your enquiry.

If the plug provided is not suitable, you will require a NICEIC Qualified Electrician to remove it and provide an electrical certificate of works carried out in order for the warranty to remain in place.

So that's 7 for & sort of 1 1/2 against (cutting off plug)!

I have an account at Howden's which I use a fair bit. I am going to have to email them to check whether NAPIT is OK too now!! Haha!

In all fairness, anyone who has done the day PAT course would be classed as competent to check the plug and confirm its been fitted correctly, any company specifying any particular scheme body would from a legal stance be in breach of fair representation by not recognising others out there.

Like I said earlier, it may all sound silly you need all this just to change a plug but when your up against the big companies, they will not hesitate to try wriggle out of any financial cost to themselves if the option is given to them.

In all fairness, anyone who has done the day PAT course would be classed as competent to check the plug and confirm its been fitted correctly, any company specifying any particular scheme body would from a legal stance be in breach of fair representation by not recognising others out there.

Like I said earlier, it may all sound silly you need all this just to change a plug but when your up against the big companies, they will not hesitate to try wriggle out of any financial cost to themselves if the option is given to them.

I think the reference to NIC is more than likely a historical reference due to a tendancy to copy and paste text from older documents. As you say any scheme would likely be deemed just fine.

Worst plug I ever saw wired was by an alcoholic with the shakes. Really bad wiring it was, with only a couple of strands inside the live pin being one of the better bits of it. Better watch yourself there Tel!! :drunk::drunk:

Last edited:
I think the reference to NIC is more than likely a historical reference due to a tendancy to copy and paste text from older documents. As you say any scheme would likely be deemed just fine.

Worst plug I ever saw wired was by an alcoholic with the shakes. Really bad wiring it was, with only a couple of strands inside the live pin being one of the better bits of it. Better watch yourself there Tel!! :drunk::drunk:

A long time ago maybe a year or so into my apprenticeship there was a cottage in the grounds of the big hospital where I was working which was junior doctors accommodation. The place still had 5 amp and 15 amp sockets and there was a report that a fuse must have blown as a new table lamp didn't work. One of the medical geniuses had fitted a 5 amp plug to the lamp, all the conductors were firmly connected but ALL insulation had been removed from about 1/4" past the cord grip on the live,neutral and earth and they were all touching nicely ! :banghead:

For those who use the Swedish store.

Thank you for your email.
If you do remove the molded plug this will invalidate the warranty as the item has been tampered with.
Should you need any further assistance in the future please do not hesitate to contact IKEA again.

Kind regards,

IKEA Customer Services
IKEA Ltd

I always remember the early days of the moulded on plug top some where found to be faulty with wires too close to the surface of the plastic which in a few cases had resulted in some people getting shocks off the the plug tops at the time we had a daywork contract with the local health authority who instructed us to replace all the moulded plugs with MK toughplugs on all appliances as they had received a HTM that cast doubt on allowing their continued use until the problem was resolved. Can't remember exactly how many plug tops we used but it was over a 1000

For those who use the Swedish store.

Thank you for your email.
If you do remove the molded plug this will invalidate the warranty as the item has been tampered with.
Should you need any further assistance in the future please do not hesitate to contact IKEA again.

Kind regards,

IKEA Customer Services
IKEA Ltd
Yet another company giving incorrect advice, how about explaining your position and sending my earlier post to them and see their reply, interested I am, Yoda would say.

Another reply
Indeset

Thank you for your email i have asked advice on the matter and i have been informed it will not invalidate you warranty i was told in some cases customers need to take them off as long as it is sorted out properly when you put the new one on if you have any more questions please do not hesitate to email us and ask.

Lol, going by the wording that's not a standard cut/paste from an existing policy document, they actually discussed the issue and gave you a custom reply.

Still coming in;

AEG

I see that some of your appliances come with an attached lead and moulded plug. If the plug is not suitable, can I cut off the moulded plug, without invalidating the warranty. I would employ the services of a qualified electrician:

'
Thank you for your email
In order for us to advise you further we would need to know why this may need to be done?

I trust the above will assist you with your query and if you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact our Customer Care Department.'

Thank you for your reply.

I may have to remove the moulded plug for your appliance, e.g. fitting freestanding microwave into fitted cupboard, to feed the flex through a small hole made in the wooden wall units to a nearby socket. The cut off moulded plug would be replaced with a BS 1363 plug.

Thank you for your email

In order for us to be able to advise you further we would need to know why this may need to be done?

I trust the above will assist you with your query and if you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact our Customer Care Department.

Not pursuing that one any further! :90:

Howdens (Lamona appliances)

Good Afternoon,

Many thanks for your enquiry.

If the plug provided is not suitable, you will require a NICEIC Qualified Electrician to remove it and provide an electrical certificate of works carried out in order for the warranty to remain in place.

So that's 7 for & sort of 1 1/2 against (cutting off plug)!

What they say and what they can actually get away with in a civil court should you be minded to challenge it are two different things, this comment just shows his lack of knowledge to say it has to be an NICEIC Qualified Electrician to remove it? Are the NICEIC an examinations body now then? Did this come from the tea boy?:)

What they say and what they can actually get away with in a civil court should you be minded to challenge it are two different things, this comment just shows his lack of knowledge to say it has to be an NICEIC Qualified Electrician to remove it? Are the NICEIC an examinations body now then? Did this come from the tea boy?:)
As you may know, Howdens only deal with trade, all communications seems only available via your local branch. Although I don't have an account, I do work for someone who does. I sort of know the person who's replied to my query email, they're in sales. So guess the response comes via head office.

Still coming in;

AEG

I see that some of your appliances come with an attached lead and moulded plug. If the plug is not suitable, can I cut off the moulded plug, without invalidating the warranty. I would employ the services of a qualified electrician:

'
Thank you for your email
In order for us to advise you further we would need to know why this may need to be done?

I trust the above will assist you with your query and if you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact our Customer Care Department.'

Thank you for your reply.

I may have to remove the moulded plug for your appliance, e.g. fitting freestanding microwave into fitted cupboard, to feed the flex through a small hole made in the wooden wall units to a nearby socket. The cut off moulded plug would be replaced with a BS 1363 plug.

Thank you for your email

In order for us to be able to advise you further we would need to know why this may need to be done?

I trust the above will assist you with your query and if you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact our Customer Care Department.

Not pursuing that one any further! :90:

They replied again!

Thank you for your response.
I have spoken to my manager in regards too this and have been advised you can do this but if the machine does become faulty and it is found to be caused by the plug it will not be covered by the warranty.

Reply to Cutting off Moulded Plug Top from appliance in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net