Search the forum,

Discuss Dangerous outdoor/garage wiring. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello I am new here.

This is regarding my parents house electrical wiring that leads out to the garage.

Here is a small amount of background information, I am 17 years old and over the last year or so I have started taking interest in electronics in general and have learned quite a bit about many different electrical related things and had some experience.

Recently I have been reading up on domestic 230vac mains electrical systems when I installed and added an additional mains outlet in my room (which I installed fine and followed all of the different codes/guidelines regarding this).

How ever I noticed something interesting about the wiring that connects the garage which is a separate building about 15ft away from the house to the 230v mains, it seems that who ever connected it up basically ran what looks like a regular 2.5mm twin and earth (although I can not be sure there is an earth conductor) from the RCD box in the kitchen and ran it along the kitchen wall then through the wall to the outside where it runs along half of the length of the house and then is suspended over a 15ft gap where it connects to the garage. What is more is that the cable is exposed to the elements with no PVC pipe or anything to protect it, just the usual grey rubber outer protection.

I can see that the grey rubber protection is starting to show its age and wear off.

Does this sound safe? (I don't think it does), I have tried to explain this to my parents but they seem to think that becuase it has been like that for a number of years and works of they can just leave it.

Some things that are plugged in/used in garage are an old freezer,lighting (which is on the same circuit to the outlets, unlike the house lighting), and various other power tools.

The house is quite old and was built in the 20's/30's so I am not sure if this type of workmanship was acceptable back then.

I can provide photographs of the wiring if anyone wanted some.

Any thoughts/advice would be a appreciated.:)

Thanks.

Hello I am new here.

This is regarding my parents house electrical wiring that leads out to the garage.

Here is a small amount of background information, I am 17 years old and over the last year or so I have started taking interest in electronics in general and have learned quite a bit about many different electrical related things and had some experience.

Recently I have been reading up on domestic 230vac mains electrical systems when I installed and added an additional mains outlet in my room (which I installed fine and followed all of the different codes/guidelines regarding this).

How ever I noticed something interesting about the wiring that connects the garage which is a separate building about 15ft away from the house to the 230v mains, it seems that who ever connected it up basically ran what looks like a regular 2.5mm twin and earth (although I can not be sure there is an earth conductor) from the RCD box in the kitchen and ran it along the kitchen wall then through the wall to the outside where it runs along half of the length of the house and then is suspended over a 15ft gap where it connects to the garage. What is more is that the cable is exposed to the elements with no PVC pipe or anything to protect it, just the usual grey rubber outer protection.

I can see that the grey rubber protection is starting to show its age and wear off.

Does this sound safe? (I don't think it does), I have tried to explain this to my parents but they seem to think that becuase it has been like that for a number of years and works of they can just leave it.

Some things that are plugged in/used in garage are an old freezer,lighting (which is on the same circuit to the outlets, unlike the house lighting), and various other power tools.

The house is quite old and was built in the 20's/30's so I am not sure if this type of workmanship was acceptable back then.

I can provide photographs of the wiring if anyone wanted some.

Any thoughts/advice would be a appreciated.:)

Thanks.

Its not up to 17th edition regulations and it would be 'advisable' to have it re-done in SWA.

Yes provide images please.

“If it ain't broke, don't fix it” attitude, LOL

Sounds very unsafe! Time to call in a qualified electrician.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply's, here are some images.

I think the gap is bigger than 15ft, but as you can see from the first two images the cable is just ran across the gap.

the last two images are of the part where it connects to the house and the last one is it connecting to the garage and you can see what condition it is in.

DSC_6379.JPGDSC_6405.JPGDSC_6369.JPGDSC_6392.JPG

I am sure that a cowboy builder installed it like this.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Ohhh that looks like a nice piece of lead twin cable there and chances are no CPC so I think it is time it is changed as it is also going a lovely green colour.

How would you want to replace it?

It would be a case of persuading my "If it works, leave it" attitude parents that it needs replacing and to get someone in to redo it.

I can't say for certain what the cable type is, but it looks like Malcolm may be right with LI but at least it looks like it's on a properly installed catenary wire.

In fact is it the PVC coating on the catenary that you can see 'coming away' ?

It would be a case of persuading my "If it works, leave it" attitude parents that it needs replacing and to get someone in to redo it.

As your 17 there is a chance that your parents are younger than me, and yes and I still do have the attitude that if it is working leave it alone. All I can say if it is lead then IMO I would not even try to investigate it, as you could be making a bad situation worse.

All you can do is advise them that you have come on here and spoke to us guys that recommend that they get someone in to look at it. It will cost you nothing as you can ask for quotes about changing it which are free, and get 3 independent electricians in, I'm pretty sure that all 3 will say the same, it's had a good life but let's change it.

As your 17 there is a chance that your parents are younger than me, and yes and I still do have the attitude that if it is working leave it alone. All I can say if it is lead then IMO I would not even try to investigate it, as you could be making a bad situation worse.

All you can do is advise them that you have come on here and spoke to us guys that recommend that they get someone in to look at it. It will cost you nothing as you can ask for quotes about changing it which are free, and get 3 independent electricians in, I'm pretty sure that all 3 will say the same, it's had a good life but let's change it.
Whoops, I mean cable not lead (People around here often refer to cables as "leeds" as in extension lead).

Sorry for the confusion!

I can't say for certain what the cable type is, but it looks like Malcolm may be right with LI but at least it looks like it's on a properly installed catenary wire.

In fact is it the PVC coating on the catenary that you can see 'coming away' ?

By "catenary wire" are your referring to the wire that contains the conductor or the support wire that it is attached to?

By "catenary wire" are your referring to the wire that contains the conductor or the support wire that it is attached to?

Yes, the catenary is the support cable, sometimes these supplies are literally 'washing lined' between buildings!

Thanks for the advice, I will tell them about this thread and tell them you guys recommended someone look at it.

Besides I have found something that should pursued them even more on the front of the fusebox/rcd panel.

DSC_6359.jpg

Hard to see but it reads:

"Date of last inspection: April 80"
"Recommended date of next inspection: April 94".

Which I think should be a good incentive to get it all checked out in general.

I expect that RCD (or RCCB in fact) works wonderfully if it is functioning, not like these new fangled 61008 things.

Everytime I go to a house that has a really old RCCB (up front or in the board), and I test it just to be happy, it always amazes me how fast they trip in relation to brand new ones I fit.

Sounds and looks like it was rewired in 1980 then. Well overdue for an inspection, especially as you seem to think Bodgit Bob has had a go at sometime.

:eek:

Some of todays workmanship would not be acceptable back then :cool:

Standards of old can be gold sometimes :)

Seen a few works of art. Possibly when time taken to complete the job in hand was not the main driver ....

Best mate used to be and I&C gas fitter at gas board. One job where it was massively over resourced (was a 3 day job and they had 2 weeks to do it) he brazed every joint in a factory, and then buffed them until you could see Jesus in it.

Seen a few works of art. Possibly when time taken to complete the job in hand was not the main driver ....

Best mate used to be and I&C gas fitter at gas board. One job where it was massively over resourced (was a 3 day job and they had 2 weeks to do it) he brazed every joint in a factory, and then buffed them until you could see Jesus in it.[/QUOTE]

When did he get back on the tools ?

Depends on earthing system and if the garage has E.C.Ps ! Exported earth could be a problem but as said this needs (no offence) an electrician to take a look and advise.

Well I tried telling them about the recommendation's on this thread and it looks like they are going to remain ignorant, "There is nothing wrong with it" and "it is working fine now so there is no need to have it looked at". :mad:

People with this sort of attitude to things as potentially dangerous as electricity annoy me, even if they are my parents. I have also just noticed that they have both the microwave and toaster running of an extension cord the runs into the wall, which I think spurs off a double outlet in the room next to it.:eek:

Alex.

Reply to Dangerous outdoor/garage wiring. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net