Discuss Data through power cables - again in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Steve_P

I've just had a thought about these homeplug thingies, you know, the ones you connect to your broadband router then plug into a socket and run a droplead to your computer. There's a few threads on the subject.

Now, I finally got a few the other day and yes, they work a treat. Seeing as with 2 kids, we currently have 4 laptops, 4 phones and a printer sharing the wireless connection so when the kids hammer you tube to find out the latest game cheat everything else is scuppered.

However. . . . .

These plug in filters appear to work across circuits. I have the router on one socket just inside the front door on one ring and a laptop in the kitchen (#1 son is studying to be a chef) on its own ring but it still picks up the network. Well lets face it, it would, these plugs are really only glorified microfilters splitting 50Hz and the much higher frequency broadband.

So, if my broadband runs across circuits and for that matter, different sides of the CCU, what's stopping me running down the road and picking up my broadband there? Ok, I know that you have to hit the security button for 2 seconds to pair these plugs but there is probably better odds of someone else doing this in the 2 minute time slot than me winning the lottery.

Will be interested to hear your thoughts on this one.

Cheers for that Dan. It's just something that appeared on another forum that I found while trying to configure one of the little bar stewards that didn't want to be configured. Someone in PCW reckoned the signal would only stop at the nearest sub but I reckon the line would be too noisy to pass through the closest transformer if that. With all the hype about securing wireless networks and being "safe" while online, I thought this could be a gaping gurt hole in the security systems. I'm working in a house down the lane next week, I'll maybe put it to the test.

lol!
I personally use a wired network for all mine. always have.i find it safer, quicker, more stable. my dad used to use them, found them pretty good (streamed movies no problem) but then I convinced him to change to a wired network when I was doing some work
In his house.

Absolutely, I've run and configured enough networks over the decades but they're dedicated whereas powerline plug things aren't and in theory could be routing all your data to anywhere on the grid. Tell you what, at 10.35, I'll hit the security button, if you lot do the same we'll see if you can get on my network.

its not that hard to run couple of cat5 cables (especially for a spark with proper tools) and do the job properly.
and invest in some better router if your it skills are enough :) (hint: openWRT)
i have a virgin media broadband here at home, distributed by cat5 and shared between average of 7pc`s and couple of smartphones. works well.

They will not pass the electricity meter as it somehow isolates it which works in their favour obviously which is good. They will not cross phases either

Reply to Data through power cables - again in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net