Discuss Device Power Supply question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have 2 external HDD's I use often. Both Power cables are 12V 2A supplies & input 100-240v 50/60Hz 0.80A. However, 1 of the plugs has broken, I stood on it. The other plug powers either of the HDDs. My question is, if I buy a splitter, will the power supply power both HDDs at the same time if both switched on, or will both over power the supply or 1 just not work? If I wanted to use a splitter, can I use a another power supply that wont damage the HDD if only 1 is switched on & if so, would it be 24VC 4A or does it not work like that. Just trying to minimise plug use as I have limited room for plugs..

Thanks in advance!

Np it doesn't work like that do not use a 24v power supply on 12v equipment. Without seeing the specs it's hard to say but with the minimal current this equipment probably uses I'd say the power supply with supply both fine.

It depends how much current each HDD takes. If it's less than 1A each, then a 2A supply will work for both at once. One 12V, 4A PSU would obviously be sufficient.

If the PSU is overloaded, will probably shut down, or will brown-out and crash one or both drives, If it goes into protect mode (where it pulses on and off) it might keep trying to start and stop the drives a few times a second which is not good for them. What you might find is that it will run both drives but not start them both up at once, because most HDDs take more power during spin up. Or one will start up but the start-up surge will shut the other down and vice versa.

Personally I wouldn't skimp. Reliable data storage is important, no point subjecting it to flaky power.

It depends how much current each HDD takes. If it's less than 1A each, then a 2A supply will work for both at once. One 12V, 4A PSU would obviously be sufficient.

If the PSU is overloaded, will probably shut down, or will brown-out and crash one or both drives, If it goes into protect mode (where it pulses on and off) it might keep trying to start and stop the drives a few times a second which is not good for them. What you might find is that it will run both drives but not start them both up at once, because most HDDs take more power during spin up. Or one will start up but the start-up surge will shut the other down and vice versa.

Personally I wouldn't skimp. Reliable data storage is important, no point subjecting it to flaky power.
Oh yeah, I don't know why I said 24v, it has to provide 12v. I assumed higher amp would allow more current to flow providing 12v. So yeah I do apologise, I did meant to just put 12v but I had a brain fart lol.
Yeah I won't skimp on power supply, just wanted the ability to provide power to both HDDs from 1 plug rather than multiple plugs. So I will look for a 12v 4A & run keeping an eye on them.

Thanks again :0)

Reply to Device Power Supply question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net