Discuss Dimmer switch ring removal tool in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Jljunk

DIY
Reaction score
PXL_20211215_232543294.jpg
what kind of tool do I need to remove these nuts on a dimmer switch?

Thanks

Normally, needle-nose pliers, but that doesn’t look like there’s much to grip.

Looks to need a screwdriver type tool with forks instead of a blade to….. actually, have you got an old fork?😁

If you are dexterous, use one screwdriver in one slot to push steadily on the nut, and a second in the other slot tapped with a hanmer, more effective that the hammer alone. You can actually get adjustable 2-prong spanners to fit these slotted nuts as well as the exact correct box spanner, but using a hammer and screwdriver in place of the correct tool is a mark of a 'real' electrician.

View attachment 93038what kind of tool do I need to remove these nuts on a dimmer switch?

Thanks

View attachment 93038what kind of tool do I need to remove these nuts on a dimmer switch?

Thanks
You might try carefully placed normally closed small circlip pliers, with the pins in the slots as long as you can apply even pressure as you twist them, angled ones even better, or failing that you could always make a key by cutting a slot of sufficient depth to clear the toggle in a suitably thin square edged piece of metal.

You might try carefully placed normally closed small circlip pliers, with the pins in the slots as long as you can apply even pressure as you twist them, angled ones even better, or failing that you could always make a key by cutting a slot of sufficient depth to clear the toggle in a suitably thin square edged piece of metal.
Is it the inner or outer ring that retains the plate

Is it the inner or outer ring that retains the plate
I meant spindle not toggle (sorry about that, you did say dimmer) and I can't tell from the photo whether the inner ring overlaps the outer or sits inside it. If it sits inside it then you should be able to remove the outer ring only and leave the potentiometer attached to the plate. You MUST isolate power before removing the plate.
If the inner ring is fouling the outer ring you'll have to take it off too (but that would likely leave the potentiometer unsupported so care required if that happens)

I recognise the make of switch in the picture.
they come supplied with a tool for tightening and undoing the nut.

send me your address by personal message and I will drop one in the post to you.

I did a large house a year ago with loads of them installed.
got several of the tools that came home in my tool box or pocket.

when you next pass a box collecting for the air ambulance or lifeboats put something in it on my behalf and consider that full payment.

p.s. I have put one in the van so if you do send me your detail, you should have it tomorrow morning.

Last edited:

send me your address by personal message and I will drop one in the post to you.

when you next pass a box collecting for the air ambulance or lifeboats put something in it on my behalf and consider that full payment.

p.s. I have put one in the van so if you do send me your detail, you should have it tomorrow morning.
James re previous conversation about that tool. I will happily donate a tenner to any charity you mention if you would post me

Hey James thanks for previous help with that tool. I am embarrassed to say I've misplaced it and need it.
I will happily donate £10 to any charity if you wouldn't mind sending another one . Even a picture would be useful so I know what I'm looking for. Want to avoid bodging it and scratching up the plate.

I understand from previous conversations that the outer ring in each case holds the plate to the wall is that right? And I'll need to remove all three outer rings to remove plate to access potentiometer?

yes, the pot's are held to the backbox by an internal grid, the rings hold the faceplate on.
i will dig out another one for you.

Reply to Dimmer switch ring removal tool in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net