Discuss Dimming switch to change the light.?? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I am not an electrician.

So any help would be appreciated.

I have 1 standard switch in the bedroom for a standard light/1 bulb.

Could I just use a dimming switch to change the standard one to get a dimming light ??

A few years ago, the answer would have been a simple yes, but first, compact fluorescent lamps, and now LEDs, have complicated the issue.
The answer is still yes, if the LED lamp is a dimmable one, and you buy a dimmer suitable for controlling LED lamps.

Simple answer is yes … but dimmer needs to be compatible with the type of luminaire (lamp/bulb) as a dimmer that works an old fashioned high wattage bulb won’t work on an LED. It also gets more complicated with two way switching. Easily sorted by a competent person as, depending on how your lighting is wired, it often confuses.

A few years ago, the answer would have been a simple yes, but first, compact fluorescent lamps, and now LEDs, have complicated the issue.
The answer is still yes, if the LED lamp is a dimmable one, and you buy a dimmer suitable for controlling LED lamps.
Thanks

This is just. Standard normal bulb. Energy saver one
Not LED light

What do you mean by energy saver one? A LED lamp is the most common energy saver.

Sorry I should have been more clear.

I believe its called a CFL energy saver bulb.

I can easily scrap that and change the bulb.. would the right socket LED light be okay in a standard ceiling hub holder ?

Would I need to do anything extra on rhe bulb holder aside from just buying an LED dimming switch and installing it ?

Sorry for all the questions. I've changed sockets etc. But never installed a dimmer.

It's time all cfls were in the bin. Nasty gap filling technology, that is now completely outdated. LEDs are approximately twice as efficient as these things, and that's after they've warmed up.
There was a short lived 'fashion' for bayonet cap lamp fittings with three locating pins instead of two, but assuming that you don't have one of these, then a LED lamp should be a straight swap.
The LED lamps that resemble and old type lamp with what looks like a filament are substantially more efficient than the type of LED lamp that is half plastic and half glass, and also give a better distribution of light. Integral LED Filament GLS Dimmable Lamp 7W BC (B22d) 806lm | Toolstation - https://www.toolstation.com/integral-led-filament-gls-dimmable-lamp/p62674

In spite of LED lamps having been around for quite a while now, it's still a bit of a black art getting a dimmer and lamp to work together, so when you buy your dimmer, be sure to emphasise that it's for a single LED lamp, and ensure that you can return it if it doesn't work properly.

Last edited:
It's time all cfls were in the bin. Nasty gap filling technology, that is now completely outdated. LEDs are approximately twice as efficient as these things, and that's after they've warmed up.
There was a short lived 'fashion' for bayonet cap lamp fittings with three locating pins instead of two, but assuming that you don't have one of these, then a LED lamp should be a straight swap.
The LED lamps that resemble and old type lamp with what looks like a filament are substantially more efficient than the type of LED lamp that is half plastic and half glass, and also give a better distribution of light. Integral LED Filament GLS Dimmable Lamp 7W BC (B22d) 806lm | Toolstation - https://www.toolstation.com/integral-led-filament-gls-dimmable-lamp/p62674

Wow thanks mate.

That's exactly what I needed to know. So I might aswell pick a dimmer switch from toolstation aswell as that bulb.

Reply to Dimming switch to change the light.?? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net