Discuss DIY help required for newby - pull cord LED light fitting to old wiring ? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Monty101

DIY
Reaction score
Hi there ?,

Apols in advance if this has been done to death?!!! (I know it has but I can't seem to fathom out a similar set-up having searched through this forum and others).

I have an old wiring system in my house and wanted to fit a new LED light in the downstairs loo. I have attached pics (x2) of the existing wiring:

(two gray cables each with; 1 x Red Wire, 1 x Black Wire and 1 x Bare Copper Wire). The other pic shows the inside of the new light connection block. The terminal connector block (or whatever the correct terminology may be, sorry) has three terminals; Live - Earth - Neutral). I've tried connecting up but it just trips the circuit so have disconnected it and wondered if you guys could help out please! Or will this set-up simply just not work i.e. LED dimmable light to old fashioned wiring???

Thanks in advance ???
Monty

DIY help required for newby - pull cord LED light fitting to old wiring ? 20191001_130157 - EletriciansForums.net DIY help required for newby - pull cord LED light fitting to old wiring ? 20191001_130225 - EletriciansForums.net

Welcome to the forum mate.
Without being there and testing the cables it's hard to actually tell you what cable does what.
At a guess, I would say that one of the cables is a power to the light and the other is the switch live cable and goes to the light switch.
You should not be putting all like colours together, as it will blow the breaker.

This is what is should be wired up like, if the above is the case.
DIY help required for newby - pull cord LED light fitting to old wiring ? 1569933859152 - EletriciansForums.net

Cheers Spoon and thanks for welcome and taking the time to reply much appreciated,

I'm a little confused (situation normal) the connection block is just 3 way inline; E-N-L I've attahed a pic? Sorry to be so dense

DIY help required for newby - pull cord LED light fitting to old wiring ? connkt - EletriciansForums.net

Cheers Spoon and thanks for welcome and taking the time to reply much appreciated,

I'm a little confused (situation normal) the connection block is just 3 way inline; E-N-L I've attahed a pic? Sorry to be so dense

View attachment 52760

No worries mate. No need to apologise.
You will have to add another terminal block. Something like this would do.
Your N would then be the terminal on the right (in my pic), E is the earth terminal, Wago terminal the middle terminal and the L the left hand terminal.
Put some red sleeving/tape round the black wire in the Switch Live cable.

What type of circuit your existing light is wired up as still needs to be tested.

Hi again,

Just read the forum SOPs regarding DIYers trying to circumvent getting pro electricians in to do jobs. Apols all round, I shall wind my neck in and get a qual electrician in. peace out thanks for your help ATB. Monty

Welcome to the forum mate.
Without being there and testing the cables it's hard to actually tell you what cable does what.
At a guess, I would say that one of the cables is a power to the light and the other is the switch live cable and goes to the light switch.
You should not be putting all like colours together, as it will blow the breaker.

This is what is should be wired up like, if the above is the case.
View attachment 52759
What he said above

Hi again,

Just read the forum SOPs regarding DIYers trying to circumvent getting pro electricians in to do jobs. Apols all round, I shall wind my neck in and get a qual electrician in. peace out thanks for your help ATB. Monty

You are swapping a light. I class that as a DIY job.
Unfortunately you removed the existing light without taking a pic of the existing wiring and marking up the cables.
It is best to get an electrician in to see what cable does what, if you are not comfortable doing the tests yourself.

Last edited:
the 2 reds connect together, but do not connect to the light. the 2 blacks connect to the light. 1 is L and the other is N, but without testing it's not possible to determine which is which. light will work either way round (with the blacks) but getting it right would be better.
[automerge]1569939287[/automerge]
Hi again,

it's OK for forum to advise on simple DIY jobs. what is frowned upon is advising someone without a clue doing work that is beyond their capabilities. changing a light/switch/socket should be within the criteria for advising. end of the day, if we think someone is out of their depth, we advise calling in a sparks.

Last edited:

Reply to DIY help required for newby - pull cord LED light fitting to old wiring ? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock