Discuss DIY Hot tub wiring?? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

missin44

DIY
Reaction score
I would like to set up my hot tub wiring a few months before my tub arrives, I would also like to do it DYI. The run I'm panning is 100' from the main panel to the tub. The hot tub (Bullfrog) requires 240v/50a service.

My plan at this point is to install a 50 amp breaker on the main panel with a 90' run of 6AWG to a hot tub sub-panel, the sub-panel would have a 50 amp GFCI breaker, then the remaining 10' to the tub with 6AWG. All of this would be run through 3/4" or 1" PVC, galvanized, or flexible conduit. Due to the rocky terrain only about the last 8' will be buried.

My questions:

1. For the main panel is a 50 amp breaker ok, or maybe a 60 amp?
  2. Is a 100' run ok with 6AWG?
  3. Any thoughts on conduit type?
  4. Am I missing anything?

I would like to set up my hot tub wiring a few months before my tub arrives, I would also like to do it DYI. The run I'm panning is 100' from the main panel to the tub. The hot tub (Bullfrog) requires 240v/50a service.

My plan at this point is to install a 50 amp breaker on the main panel with a 90' run of 6AWG to a hot tub sub-panel, the sub-panel would have a 50 amp GFCI breaker, then the remaining 10' to the tub with 6AWG. All of this would be run through 3/4" or 1" PVC, galvanized, or flexible conduit. Due to the rocky terrain only about the last 8' will be buried.

My questions:

1. For the main panel is a 50 amp breaker ok, or maybe a 60 amp?
  2. Is a 100' run ok with 6AWG?
  3. Any thoughts on conduit type?
  4. Am I missing anything?
The 50 amp breaker should be fine but I’ve wired many hot tubs and the instructions require #6 wire and that’s what you have to go by. As you already stated that it had to GFCI protected. I always use PVC conduit and then use about 2 feet of non metallic flex for vibration mostly. By definition according to the 2020 NEC states that for a single family dwelling that what you call a sub panel is not required but as per the instructions they say put it up. There also has to a GFCI receptacle no closer than 6 feet measuring from the inside edge of the hot tub. Use 1 inch PVC since the ground is rocky

The 50 amp breaker should be fine but I’ve wired many hot tubs and the instructions require #6 wire and that’s what you have to go by. As you already stated that it had to GFCI protected. I always use PVC conduit and then use about 2 feet of non metallic flex for vibration mostly. By definition according to the 2020 NEC states that for a single family dwelling that what you call a sub panel is not required but as per the instructions they say put it up. There also has to a GFCI receptacle no closer than 6 feet measuring from the inside edge of the hot tub. Use 1 inch PVC since the ground is rocky
After checking the price of copper wire, how about using #4, 3, or 2 aluminum wire for the 90' run (upgrading the breakers in turn), then copper for the last 10'? Using a splice connector at the sub-panel. I ask because the aluminum is going to cost me 1/2 to 1/3 of that of copper.

After checking the price of copper wire, how about using #4, 3, or 2 aluminum wire for the 90' run (upgrading the breakers in turn), then copper for the last 10'? Using a splice connector at the sub-panel. I ask because the aluminum is going to cost me 1/2 to 1/3 of that of copper.
You can use aluminum which is a lot cheaper than copper but the reason I don’t use it because it’s twice the size of copper and real hard to bend especially in small panels. It’s a personal thing. Seems like you have it under control and good look

Reply to DIY Hot tub wiring?? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net