Discuss DIY Lamp Wiring Help! in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

samcginlay

-
DIY
Reaction score
Dear Electricians,

I am trying to 'upcycle' an old restaurant sign that originally had strip lights installed in it in to a plug in floor standing lamp. I have removed all of the original electrical components and lights from the sign, and i am now trying to install 4 x e27 screw lampholders wired in parallel hidden within the sign, and powered by a plug in switched cable. The plastic 'bar restaurant' part of the sign attached to the front of the frame and is backlit by the new bulbs.

IMG_2535.jpg IMG_2529.jpg

this is the aluminium frame of the sign drilled in to a cement base. I have glued 2 strips of wood the inside (c-clamps currently attached while glue dries) to allow a substrate in which to drill the ceramic lampholders in to.

IMG_2530.jpg

There will be 4 lights in total. 2 attached to left, and 2 to the right wooden strips glued to the uprights of the metal frame.

IMG_2534.jpg

I have bought a pre-made 2 core flex with in-line switch to power the 4 bulbs (bulbs are 40w each), and I intended to wire them in parallel as seen in the picture below that I found on another site. I intend to feed the 2 core flex through the bottom of the frame as seen in the picture above.

light 1.jpg

This is the end of the 2 core flex I bought.

IMG_2531.jpg

This is the terminal block I was intending to wire the circuit together with.

IMG_2533.jpg

Ok so my question is first of all - is this safe? The cable clearly does not have an earth wire - how do i go about grounding this circuit? The frame of the sign is metal so how do I protect against a wire coming loose and contacting the frame and electrocuting me if there is no earth?

The specifics of the wiring I intend to copy are actually borrowed from a cannabis forum that came up when I was researching how to wire the lights together, and can be found in more detail with good pictures at the following link.

Any help would be much appreciated. I am not experienced with wiring apart from basic plug changes and swapping out a few ceiling chandeliers etc, and just want to make sure the lamp s going to be safe.

Cheers

Scott

Reply to DIY Lamp Wiring Help! in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net