Discuss DIY LED/bulb and laser module circuit! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

Jordan Reed

Hi guys!

First post here but REALLY need some help!

I want to use an extremely bright LED or very small bulb and a laser module in the same circuit with a 4.5V supply (3x AAA)

I would like to use a toggle switch to operate the unit but use two other switches (in parallel I assume) to select light on/off and laser on/off.

I have an idea of the bulb and laser module was thinking of using:
bulb: Replacement Maglite / AA Bulbs Twin Pack | Maplin
laser module: 1mW 3V Red Laser Module | Maplin

Now the main concerns are:
1- Can my supply run this?
2- Will i need to use resistors in the circuit?
3- How would you suggest working the switch? (note: i am VERY limited with space)
4- Are there any better alternative components to those i have listed (note also: power supply is not changeable)

Thank you SO much in advance at any help I may receive.

Jordan

P.S. If you would like to know the project then I will tell you- It's no secret just not particularly easy to explain I expect!

Here's a little preliminary sketch of what I have came up with so far... I apologize it is no Sistine chapel!
http://i.Upload the image directly to the thread.com/bLszdT4.jpg

Is the toggle switch really necessary? It seems like a redundant component that's just taking up space and adding to costs.

Both the flashlight bulb and the laser module are rated at 3v, you're likely to damage them using 4.5v to power them. Rather go with 2x AA batteries than 3x AAA.

Yeah- I wanna select laser or light or both and then use the toggle so that it's only on when you're pressing a button. It's for a tactical light unit!

unfortunately I need to use the 3x AAA batteries as this circuit is going inside an existing housing. Is there a way I can use a resistor in series to both the laser and light? (Like before the parallel circuit part) if so what rating must I use?

EDIT: would silicon diode(s) in series be an option?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just use 2 aa cells
Like I said before, the battery compartment is not changeable as I am using existing parts.

If it's an existing battery compartment then just fit a solid link in place of one of the batteries.
I was thinking I could use that but the only issue could be stopping the batteries from moving out of position as there won't be a third battery at the top to hold the bottom two down (sorry if my description is poor it is fairly hard to explain!)

I was thinking of using a micro controller doing all the toggling action with single non-latching push button that toggles through a program cycle

(LED on) --- (LED off / laser on) --- (Both on) --- (All off) --- cycle repeats --- (LED on) .......

Like I said before, the battery compartment is not changeable as I am using existing parts.

I was thinking I could use that but the only issue could be stopping the batteries from moving out of position as there won't be a third battery at the top to hold the bottom two down (sorry if my description is poor it is fairly hard to explain!)
You could try it with 3 batteries but use rechargeables which tend to be around 1.2-1.3 volts instead of normal batteries which are 1.5 or even 1.6 volts when they're new. There's still a chance that you'll overdrive the LED's and damage them but it might be a chance worth taking especially if you're only using the lights for short bursts rather than continuously on. You could use resistors to reduce the voltage but this will get a bit more complicated especially because the LEDs aren't necessarily operating simultaneously.

Reply to DIY LED/bulb and laser module circuit! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net