Discuss Do you have to be Part P to fit an external flood light? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

lee2lee

Hello, i work for an alarm company and a customer asked me if we could fit a flood light on the back of their house.
There is no light there at the moment.
can this be done by a compertant person or do you have to have Part P.

Hello, i work for an alarm company and a customer asked me if we could fit a flood light on the back of their house.
There is no light there at the moment.
can this be done by a compertant person or do you have to have Part P.

Anybody can do electrical work. As long as they inform the LABC when required and pay the appropriate fee. Part P is a document NOT a qualification.

But to answer your question: NO, not unless you inform LABC as golden boy said, which is effectively getting panning permission, and will cost you anywhere from 50 to 200 depending on where you live.

Yes, anybody can do electrical work, but a lot of people shouldn't.

Last edited by a moderator:
Both answers above are correct any electrical work where water is present (rain) is very very dangerous it will be cheaper and safer to use an electrician registered with the NICEIC, NAPIT or ELECSA building control involvement would not be needed.

Chris

There is a single plug socket in the bedroom backing onto where the light needs to go.

If i tap off the socket in 2.5 and then go into a 3a switch spur and then out with 10mm flat cable to the light.

Anthing else i need to do?

also the customer did metion they wanted the spur in the kitchen below this bedroom, if i chase the wall and hide the 2.5 cable and get it in the kitchen can i have the spur in the kitchen ? reason i ask is i know there is different rules for doing stuff in kitchens.

Thanks

Installing an external floodlight on the wall of a property does not come under part P providing it is not a new circuit and does not involve alterations to wiring in kitchens and bathrooms......As long as it is fed off an existing circuit there would be no need to inform LABC and any person,competant or otherwise can legally do it. Thats the way it is whether we like it or not.
Rocker is not correct.
See here for work which is notifyable.
Part P to Building Regulations - The IET

Last edited by a moderator:
Balls to this, I'm becoming unregistered from next year. Seems the only thing we need to be part p for is CU changes, of which no customer will ever take even if you tell them their house is about to go on fire with their current one, and special locations - round here ceilings tend to be above zones so lights can still be done without notification. Now you tell me I'm wasting money notifying on outdoor lights. What a complete waste of time, I could do 90% of the work I currently do with no 'Part P', save myself 450 a year and 1.50 on each job.

From page 9 of Approved Document P

Outdoor lighting and power installations are special locations. Any new work in, for example the garden or that involves crossing the garden is notifiable.

Chris

Item I on the same page as above contradicts the above statement so obviously security lighting is not outdoors:rolleyes:

Deep deep joy

Chris

Thats just as well then.

I have just installed a couple of outside lights on an existing circuit and was going to go through P to see if i did need to notify it.

Looks like i dont then. :D

Just been having a read through part P and external lighting fixed direct to the outside and wired straight in is not notifiable......But.....if it is connected via an outside JB it is notifiable.....confused??....like I said,a dogs dinner.

Reading through this topic has baffled me.

Don’t know if I have been doing it right or wrong!

So what have we all decided on?

Seems to be difference of opinions

The following types of work are non-notifiable:
  • Replacing accessories such as socket-outlets, control switches and ceiling roses
  • Replacing the cable for a single circuit only, where damaged, for example, by fire, rodent or impact (1.)
  • Re-fixing or replacing the enclosures of existing installation components (2.)
  • Providing mechanical protection to existing fixed installations (3.)
  • Installing or upgrading main or supplementary equipotential bonding (4.)
  • Work that is not in a kitchen or special location and does not involve a special installation (5.) and consists of:
    • Adding lighting points (light fittings and switches) to an existing circuit (6.)
    • Adding socket-outlets and fused spurs to an existing ring or radial circuit (6.)
Notes:
  1. On condition that the replacement cable has the same current-carrying capacity, follows the same route and does not serve more than one sub-circuit through a distribution board
  2. If the circuit's protective measures are unaffected
  3. If the circuit's protective measures and current-carrying capacity of conductors are unaffected by increased thermal insulation
  4. Such work shall comply with other applicable legislation, such as the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations
  5. Special locations and installations are listed below
  6. Only if the existing circuit protective device is suitable and provides protection for the modified circuit, and other relevant safety provisions are satisfactory
Special locations and installations (5.)
  • Locations containing a bath tub or shower basin
  • Swimming pools or paddling pools
  • Hot air saunas
  • Electric floor or ceiling heating systems
  • Garden lighting or power installations
  • Solar photovoltaic (PV) power supply systems
  • Small scale generators such as microCHP units
  • Extra-low voltage lighting installations, other than pre-assembled, CE-marked lighting sets
Note: See IEE Guidance Note 7 which gives more guidance on achieving safe installations where risks to people are greater

..........:D

Looks like I'll be wiring up to lighting circuit in the loft and then run it down to switch and out to light.Argos have some pretty good ones with all instructions enclosed,if you've got some skills you may be okay if not you may need to ask a relative or such.

Reply to Do you have to be Part P to fit an external flood light? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net