Discuss do you think GCSE`s are easier for the kids now than they were 20 years ago? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

do you think the gcse`s are getting easier

• Total voters
P

Phil

it`s the time of the year when the kids work hard and are told afterwards that yes they have got good grades etc but that`s because they are getting easier jabba jabba.

shame we can`t give them a little bit of credit and just say well done to them :)

My mate found his old GCSE maths paper online recently, and retook it for fun, after having been taught maths at college in a mature student environment.
He said he found it a lot easier than the first time around; so has exactly the same paper got easier?
The answer is no of course not, what a stupid question - it's the same paper.

This idea that tests are getting 'easier' is based around statistics - more kids are getting better results, which could be down to:

• The exams getting easier
  • Students studying harder
  • The only students taking the exams being the ones likely to get good results.
Nowadays it seems everything is getting more competitive, so I fully believe it's possible that children are under pressure to get the best results to stay ahead of the game.
Likewise it's possible that schools want good results to make it appear that they're teaching is better than other schools, so it may be that less able students are encouraged not to take the exams at all, the result being that while the school appear to be producing great exam results, they're also producing an 'underclass' of students who instead of leaving school with bad GCSE grades leave school with no GCSEs at all, consigning them to a life in the hottest and noisiest jobs, or a life on benefits.

So I don't think it's as easy as assuming from a list of numbers on a bit of paper that exams are getting easier without putting the exam papers side by side and having a go at them both. From what I've heard school lessons are becoming more 'feminised' ie based more around coursework and theoretical work which girls traditionally excel at and boys are bored by, which could explain the idea that boys are increasingly falling behind at school - without having tinkered around with the style of teaching it could even be that the opposite is true.

Phil mate,
In answer to your question - having two family members who are teachers, No I do not believe that GCSEs are getting easier, the problem is that kids are being taught to 'PASS the exam' and most of their studies are purely concerned with this. As I've told you before, teaching is an area that I'm very very passionate about; and I've told you before that I'm considering going into some form of teaching. However, I couldn't bring myself to teach youngsters politically correct claptrap, that I know to be false, a distortion of the truth or plain biased.

Okay Alarm man where are you lurking?

When I did my GCSE 20 odd years ago quite afew of the subjects were coursework so do the coursework through the year and your already halfway their to your grade. Daughters just going through her exams now some of the question papers she brings home are beyond me not how I use to do it at school seems teaching and the way it is taught has changed but suppose it also depends on the kids put the time in study get the grade.

He's a recent GCSE maths question (calculator allowed):

Concorder covers 1 mile every 3 seconds. How far does Concorde travel in 1 hour.

I do some invigilation and could see that many students got this wrong or didn't attempt the question.

Reply to do you think GCSE`s are easier for the kids now than they were 20 years ago? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net