Discuss Does C&G 2394/95 allow me to sign off installations? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

Terry Longhurst

Hi Guys

I have recently passed C&G 2394/95, does this mean I am no able to sign off installations and issue certificates? For example a friend of mine has asked if I can test and issue a certificate for a house he wants to rent out. Do I need to be registered with someone like jib?

Many thanks

thanks for the response Murdoch, I actually thought a full periodic was required and that is what I would do, just wasn't sure if I was able to issue the EICR. My question wasn't specific to my friends house. Im having trouble finding information on what I am able to do now I have this C&G 2394/95. The course I took was very good for teaching about how to carry out inspection and testing and the requirements for inspection an testing, but for some reason lacked the information about what can now do in terms of signing of work and installations and periodics. could you give me some advice on that please, if you can?

Johnuk, i understand where you are coming from, I wouldn't think about doing anything im not competent or confident in. I passed the exams last month but I done plenty of testing before taking the exams for the company I work for (supervised obviously) and have pretty much been testing since

thanks for the response Murdoch, I actually thought a full periodic was required and that is what I would do, just wasn't sure if I was able to issue the EICR. My question wasn't specific to my friends house. Im having trouble finding information on what I am able to do now I have this C&G 2394/95. The course I took was very good for teaching about how to carry out inspection and testing and the requirements for inspection an testing, but for some reason lacked the information about what can now do in terms of signing of work and installations and periodics. could you give me some advice on that please, if you can?

Johnuk, i understand where you are coming from, I wouldn't think about doing anything im not competent or confident in. I passed the exams last month but I done plenty of testing before taking the exams for the company I work for (supervised obviously) and have pretty much been testing since

You are getting muddled up with the terminology.

PIR no longer exists and has been replaced by the EICR

Me thinks you should do some research before embarking on inspections as the catagories have changed too.

you can do eicr's but eic's should be completed by whoever does the work.

You also need to have a good knowledge of the Regs as you may come across things in the inspection that have need be installed correctly or not to regulations. Ask yourself if you come across a deviation could you code it correctly this can be difficult and comes with experience I would advise going out on a job with an experience inspector first. Just knowing how to carry out the physical testing and is not enough

I appreciate everyone's advice and experience. By 'full periodic' I was referring to the full periodic inspection and testing process, as it is still called, but yes you are right the PIR form has been replaced by the EICR. I appreciate where your coming from flanders and I completely agree, as I said I had been inspecting and testing supervised before taking the exams and would not do anything I don't feel I am competent in.

My original question has come the fact that all the inspection and testing I have done has been through the company I work for, and I'm not sure what I can do privately or weather I need to be registered with a scheme

I appreciate everyone's advice and experience. By 'full periodic' I was referring to the full periodic inspection and testing process, as it is still called, but yes you are right the PIR form has been replaced by the EICR. I appreciate where your coming from flanders and I completely agree, as I said I had been inspecting and testing supervised before taking the exams and would not do anything I don't feel I am competent in.

My original question has come the fact that all the inspection and testing I have done has been through the company I work for, and I'm not sure what I can do privately or weather I need to be registered with a scheme

Your original questions suggests you want to do an EICR and I gave you a direct answer in post #2!

If you are asking if you can do 3rd party inspections of other peoples installation work - I suggest you get your tin hat on!

So yes then if you feel competent down load your self a model EICR form and crack on with it, put your name and address on the report and sign it , check first though as some company's /people requesting the report may require you to be part of a scheme so check first, for example if you friend is using an agent to rent out the house they may want such a report, and remember you are the one they will come back to if there are any issues in the future so make sure you do and right. :)

Reply to Does C&G 2394/95 allow me to sign off installations? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net