Discuss Domestic Hagar CU Terminal Bar in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

rsmck

Hi,

I'm installing a 14 way Hager CU with a terminal rail supplied as standard with two neutral terminal bars and a larger earth terminal bar, the housing is helpfully marked with numbering.

As I am installing three MCBs which will not be RCD protected I have an additional 5 way terminal bar to which I will terminate the neutrals for the non-RCD circuits. Obviously by adding this the manufacturer-fitted terminal bars must be unclipped and moved further along, meaning the markings and numbering no longer correlate properly with what's actually there.

Looking for a bit of advice (not replaced a CU since the 17th edition and extra RCD requirements etc were introduced) as to how I should mark this - should I place my own (correct) labelling above the terminals or simply rely on the fact that it'll be blatantly obvious the pile of green/yellow sheathed cable in the middle is clearly not a neutral ;)

Supplied from factory;

14way N 17way Earth 10way N

What i'll end up with is as follows;

14way N (5 used) 17way Earth 10way N (4 used) 5way N (3 used)

Long story short - I'm only really concerned about the 'right' way to label this, the somewhat lengthy post just (hopefully) proves I've thought about it!

Thanks again - this site is proving invaluable :)

you arent allowed to install any mcb,s unless they are rcd protected.

According to what ? the non-RCD protected ways will not be connected to cable concealed within a wall and are for specific purposes (not general socket outlets)

My understanding is that my intended non-RCD circuits are permitted.

Last edited by a moderator:
i agree with rsmck, dont know where you got that from. cable can also be buired more than 50mm in a wall or metal capping used for machanical protection.

Your right,you dont have to rcd everything,rcds and rcbos are sometimes installed when they are not required,as you said all dependant on the circuit they are supplying and the INSTALLATION METHOD,anyhow back to your point,imo you cant label enough the more the better,the regs say,either number or letters or a combination of both,so as to not cause confusion,.what you have summised is adequate,and as long as its clear which L,N,CPC relate to each bar then you have fullfilled the requirements,i always label each conductor with numbers, also,it can be a future problem for pirs when its turned into a birdsnest and you dont know which ones are for which circuit.

I always label each conductor with numbers, also,it can be a future problem for pirs when its turned into a birdsnest and you dont know which ones are for which circuit.

Will be numbered with some heat shrink cable markers ... when i find them (oh the irony, having lost something you use to make finding things easier)

none of the cable in question will be buried in a wall at all - one will pass straight through a partition but will be surface mounted on both side of it, the rest are all surface mounted.

Reply to Domestic Hagar CU Terminal Bar in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net