Discuss Dot Dab Plaster wall - 35mm box? Plasterer at odds with electrician in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I assume you can substantiate these 500 year old records or is it just hearsay from generations of dead people.

Well the Great Plague was in 1665 that's 357 years when the local village around the church was burnt down, the parish records including the property in question is detailed as still standing, furthermore the doomsday book record also has detail of a property on the plot, any more straws you wish to clutch.

You may well believe this is the case, but new build houses move because they are inadequately constructed, as I have said earlier, I have been involved with some very high end housing and any cracking of the internal plaster would not be tolerated, unseasoned timber used in timber frames and internal walls, probably deck cargo brought over from, who knows where, during the drying process of this timber probably causes excessive movement and hence cracking, something the RICS, ARIBA, ICE and ISE have been putting forward as the reason for cracking in Court cases for quite a number of years. My flint stone house is over five hundred years old is built straight off a chalk strata bed and has no foundations and has not moved or cracked anywhere.
Movement isn't the only thing that causes cracking, temperature changes cause shrinkage and new builds suffer from settling and cracking due to temperature changes too.

Just a fact for anyone who's ever been on site. Natural materials aren't impervious to the elements.

Last edited:
Strange post, movement is the only thing that causes cracking, whether that movement is due to temperature or subsidence its still movement, If a material is not stable i.e. not seasoned then yes it will move with temperature changes, new builds suffer from movement due to material deficiencies compared to older building practices, brick and block rather than timber frames, just a fact for anyone who has been in the industry longer than ten minuets.

Last edited:
Strange post, movement is the only thing that causes cracking, whether that movement is due to temperature or subsidence its still movement, If a material is not stable i.e. not seasoned then yes it will move with temperature changes, new builds suffer from movement due to material deficiencies compared to older building practices, brick and block rather than timber frames, just a fact for anyone who has been in the industry longer than ten minuets.
The only strange thing here is how you think you know absolutely everything about everything, and your very weird obtuse pedantic use of words. Everybody knows movement in terms of planes physically moving within houses and movement due to shrinking and expansion are usually referred to differently but you decide to lump them all in together. The same as how you decided to try to start a fight because someone didn't explicitly state that blown render should be hacked off even though literally everybody else understands implicitly that that's what the guy meant.

You're doing it for no reason other than that you can start silly debates with people, which have the end goal of making you look clever on an internet forum. Then when anyone challenges you you try to just shut them down so we can 'move on' - this is typical of someone who wants to espouse their own views but isn't interested in anything anyone else has to say.

I find it amusing. I would ask the question: if you're not interested and you know best why are you trying to discuss these matters at all? What purpose does it serve except making you feel like the online big man?

New build housing has shrinkage, settlement and cracks due to things other than poor workmanship and materials. That's a fact and that's all there is to it.

Reply to Dot Dab Plaster wall - 35mm box? Plasterer at odds with electrician in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net