Discuss DPDT switch burnt while off in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello, I wired a DPDT switch to my sunroof 12v DC motor. It was working ok and I was able to reverse the polarity of the motor to open and close the sunroof. However days later it started to burn when off, even though I hooked up a 20A fuse before the switch. I don't know if it's a short circuit or the fuse was too big, or wires to thin. Any help or suggestions could be useful.

Sounds like moisture ingress or an internally damaged / shorted switch, as it seems there was current flowing when it was supposed to be off.

What was the rating of the switch and the motor load currrent?

Sounds like moisture ingress or an internally damaged / shorted switch, as it seems there was current flowing when it was supposed to be off.

What was the rating of the switch and the motor load currrent?
I just checked, switch current rating is 15A. Unfortunately I don't much going for the motor load current. I can't seem to find anything on the web.

Could it be a design problem with this particular switch? A DPDT switch used for polarity reversal needs to have a definite break before make design to avoid momentarily short circuiting the supply s it's operated.

Reply to DPDT switch burnt while off in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi Guys, Looking for a bit of advice for my kids power wheel car. I have a 24v to 12v converter which I need to use for the steering motor as...
Replies
Views
hello guys, hope you’re all well. We are looking at installing the Hager SFT240 changeover switch to three live aboard boats with an electric...
Replies
Views
I have a pressure washer that I got as part of "a good deal", actually an exceedingly good deal as I later found out. I've had it a while, I guess...
Replies
Views
Morning All I recently completed my first re wire and board change, (with help from the owner who is a gas fitter and plumper, who works with my...
Replies
Views
I have a 1 HP Dayton motor model 5k673. It is being replaced with 31TR91. Need help with wiring. I was able to confirm line (L1) abd (L2 230v)...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock