Discuss Earth Rod Drills in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

What brand is best?

How much?

i always use my slide hammer, i have done many temporary installations with gennys, so i generally need to take the spike out again afterwards, the slide hammer is ideal for it:)

What happens if its rock or granite below? Keep moving around until you find a soft spot I suppose?

yep, thats the one

and of course i get one of the big lads on the slide hammer:p

i am generally working out in a field anyway

set up on the side of the dock in Hull once, solid concrete everywhere, so I clamped my earth cable onto the ladder going down into the water........:p

and before anyone starts to shout about measuring Ze, fault paths etc etc i was using a GENNY:p

Shakey your solution in Hull was superb, bet it caused a few raised eyebrows when you did it.

Back to the original point. I have a selection of different sized hammers for different length rods and ground conditions. Sounds primative but it's worked for me up till now.

Shakey your solution in Hull was superb, bet it caused a few raised eyebrows when you did it.

Back to the original point. I have a selection of different sized hammers for different length rods and ground conditions. Sounds primative but it's worked for me up till now.

i just have the one big slide hammer, worked fine for me for decades

Let me share a story from the US. I was using a slide hammer putting in an 8 foot ground rod, and hit something hard. Being equally hard-headed, I kept wailing on it until it started to go in again. When I returned inside the house, I found the major portion of the ground rod sticking out into the cellar, through a joint in the rubble foundation. I suppose I hit a hard rock underground and the rod curved and went inside.

I hope you charged the customer for installing a clothes rail in their cellar as well as providing an earth!!!!!:D:D:D

It's nice to see the forum is being viewed in "The Colonies" :rolleyes:

As far as the heavy rotary hammer drills goes, for putting in ground rods, most in the US agree on HILTI. The only objection to that brand is price, so the close 2nd is generally Milwaukee.

As far as the heavy rotary hammer drills goes, for putting in ground rods, most in the US agree on HILTI. The only objection to that brand is price, so the close 2nd is generally Milwaukee.

Oh christ, many a happy(?) memory of drilling into concrete factory yards to fit earth rods with Hilti TE92. Many a sprained wrist when it hit the re-enforcing bars.
As a skinny apprentice I could hardly lift it, never mind use the effing thing ! (yes, and the drill as well !):rolleyes:

Reply to Earth Rod Drills in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock