Discuss Earth to Live Voltage - 206v in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I've been fault finding an issue in a domestic property, the situation is as follows...

RCD spur that is protecting outside sockets,

This spur is on the downstairs 32A ring, the sockets directly on the ring pass RCD tripping test.

The cables coming into the spur won't trip when tested?

Voltage readings: L-N=240v; L-E=206v; N-E=34v

Can't find where the spur comes off the ring, have checked several of the nearest sockets and also the CCU. Although, there does look to be a blanking plate on the wall but it can't be reached.

Any thoughts what could be causing this??

Thanks

Sounds like a faulty E connection. Have you got a wader lead or similar to measure the resistance from the RCD spur back to the suspected CU ring connections?

The cables coming into the spur won't trip when tested?
Am I reading it right that the fact it's an RCD spur and outside sockets isn't the pertinent point?
For clarity, you are saying that there is a ring final circuit and generally RCD tests trip the RCD at the CU, but there is one point on a spur off the ring where RCD tests don't trip the RCD at the CU?

As above more testing needed. Live Zs would be quickest.
Assuming this comes back with a high number or even open circuit, trace the route by isolating circuit, joining live and neutral at the spur, and measuring resistance at sockets. It will tap into the ring at either of the two points with lowest numbers or somewhere between them.

Reply to Earth to Live Voltage - 206v in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi guys. Having a weird problem in a house that has suddenly happened. One half of the ring main has 240ish volts (fluctuates of course), and...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi there, I’m a new member to the forum and felt like I could do with some additional insight into a fault I came across on a call-out at the...
Replies
Views
Im just curious as to peoples thoughts on the following install I seen on a video from an Electrical firm today and they did the following: Ran...
Replies
Views
A BG fused connection unit, with neon. A boiler. Fuse out. Spur switched off. I was checking polarity after a colleague had 2nd fixed it and...
Replies
Views
Hi , Could someone answer the following for me? i don't have reg book handy and when i google i'm getting mixed answers. 1. maximum...
Replies
Views
OLDBOY
O

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock