Discuss EICR - Shallow Back Box Depth a Fault? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello,

My house has 25mm back boxes throughout, but I’ve noticed the previous owner has installed sockets and switches that seem to suggest/specify 35mm minimum. The sockets and switches do still fit flush on the wall, just that it is incredibly tight behind so the wiring has been routed meticulously to allow it to just about fit.

Our buyers are requesting an EIRC report to be done and I would like to know simply, will this been seen as a fail or a fault? Is this sort of thing specifically checked?

Thank you

25mm back box when buried in the wall may well be close to 35mm deep anyway. use a rule and a straight edge to see what the actual depth behind the wall face is.

25mm back box when buried in the wall may well be close to 35mm deep anyway. use a rule and a straight edge to see what the actual depth behind the wall face is.
Hi James,

That's right, but it's still below 35mm when I measured it, making it very tight and hard to screw in. I've heard that it's only a fault if the wires are actually damaged in the box though. Is that right, and that the depth wouldn't be a problem in itself?

Its an unusual thing for the home owner to check in any case. What made you want to check it?

An inspector will probably do a sample check and if squashed/flattened conductors are noticed but the IR tests are satisfactory, it may be recorded as an observation with a recommendation (C3). A low IR would indicate damage to the insulation has been done and a fault sometime in the future (possibly years) may be the result.
Wouldn't specifically check depth of boxes.

I think most manufacturers 'recommend' a minimum box depth but many accessories fit quite happily in a shallower box if the conductors are arranged to suit, and wouldn't show as a fault or low IR ...... resulting in Satisfactory EICR

If things are neatly dressed in then it is often possible to fit things in smaller holes than recommended.

is it right?
No

is it likely to cause an issue?
probably not if it was done with extreme care and attention to detail

could it cause an issue?
yes, if the cables are crushed, deformed or pulled out of the terminals when screwing the fitting in place.

is it likely to come up as an issue on an EICR?
Probably not, but maybe depending if any of the above have happened.

Lets face it, if it is flagged up as an issue on an EICR, change the sockets to generic white ones for not a lot of money.

I'd consider it something of a rare miracle if whoever does the EICR:
a) actually gets out of the van
b) actually took a socket off and looked behind it
c) even considered there might be an issue regarding depth of back box

....as there are an awful lot of cheap EICR certificate generating cowboys out there.

Even if you got a competent person, unless the socket is visibly not flush against the wall and 'looks wrong' I'd be highly surprised if it made it onto the observations list.
So I wouldn't lose sleep over this one.

I looked at it before I decided to move house, but it's only a problem now that the new people want an EICR. You are rather a nosey bunch aren't you.

Surely you can just change the one back that you have swapped though. Easiest way.

Edit: sorry, I meant to say the one(s) that other people have changed. Obviously.

Reply to EICR - Shallow Back Box Depth a Fault? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net