Discuss EICR specs for these RCBO's in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

davesparks

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I'm doing an EICR at the moment, I don't normally do them and don't enjoy it, but beggars can't be choosers!

I've come across some RCBO's I've not seen before, they are federal stablock type with a neon in the test button that lights up when they trip.
Does anyone know the facts and figures for these?

IMG_20200713_115925.jpg

The neon indicator is a variant, others have a solid yellow test button. The white ones provide overcurrent and rcd protection but have no type characteristics. The brown ones should be type 4, both manufactured to BS4293.

Last edited:
I should further add, the white ones have no ID sticker and I am not sure that variant did but do not assume they are 30ma because they also did 100ma versions but are quite rare.

Out of curiosity, how was rest of the place and how did you eventually code it? Apart from with a condemned sticker ;)

Could make for good discussion while helping to inform others at the same time.

Also wondering if others while doing EICRs now take pictures of all areas that you have coded as evidence to back-up your reports. Thinking this may become more and more important with increase in EICRs you'll be doing with the rental market. - Potential push back from landlords, getting properties mixed up in your minds when looking back at reports....

Out of curiosity, how was rest of the place and how did you eventually code it? Apart from with a condemned sticker ;)

Today was day one of three, so none of the testing is complete yet, today was just doing submains and general inspection.

The rest of the place is not great
[automerge]1594673946[/automerge]
what readings were you getting, if they comply then its ok c3 the db recommend an upgrade throw a mixed colours sticker on and take your money.

There is more to compliance than just matching up test results, you can get fully compliant test results from an installation with very dangerous problems present.

C3 the DB for what reason?

I'm not a cowboy, I don't just throw anthying in/on and take the money.

Potentially 6 C3's depending on whats on the cover, lol
I can see 4 from the image, perhaps 2 labels missing off the cover also

I can see 3 in the image, exposed copper, no earth to the banjo, wrong MCB hacked in (the cover is hacked about to allow it to fit)

I'd love to give it a C2 just for being a stablock board, but I don't think that's acceptable.

Was going to ask about the right side mcb not uncommon to see the cover butchered to fit them. For further info the correct 3871 devices are identified by the switch toggle colour, nine times out of ten the ID has worn off.
White, type 1 (very rare).
Green, type 2.
Orange, type 3.
Brown, type 4.
The 60898 devices like your one also follow colour scheme but not on the toggle just the writing.
Green, type B.
Orange, type C.
Black, type D.

Was going to ask about the right side mcb not uncommon to see the cover butchered to fit them. For further info the correct 3871 devices are identified by the switch toggle colour, nine times out of ten the ID has worn off.
White, type 1 (very rare).
Green, type 2.
Orange, type 3.
Brown, type 4.
The 60898 devices like your one also follow colour scheme but not on the toggle just the writing.
Green, type B.
Orange, type C.
Black, type D.

Thankyou, that will be very useful information as there are a few federal boards there with various 3871 and 60898 devices, some hacked in and others look like they are intended to be there.

Thankyou, that will be very useful information as there are a few federal boards there with various 3871 and 60898 devices, some hacked in and others look like they are intended to be there.
They are a British version of the US Federal Pacific brand and the internal parts are all but identical. Much has been written about the 3871 devices over the years none of it good in particular their instantaneous tripping capability due to the mechanics behind it.

Last edited:
They are a British version of the US Federal Pacific brand and the internal parts are all but identical. Much has been written about them over the years none of it good in particular their instantaneous tripping capability due to the mechanics behind it.

I know briefly what they are, and how bad a reputation they have. I've encountered a few bits of federal switchgear before but not very often,and I think this is the first time I've seen the RCBO's.

One of the TPN boards is very much of the USA style with the mainswitch in what would be for us the circuit 1 position.

Not sure I have seen the main switch in that orientation on a Federal board, I have on Square D.

They essentially come from the same place, ECC and Federal Electric are associated companies.

It looks pretty much the same board
Yes just been looking at ECC, they are a very old company from the late1800s but it seems two associated companies were set up later the other being Federal Electric. Different factories but a stones throw from each other.

Yes just been looking at ECC, they are a very old company from the late1800s but it seems two associated companies were set up later the other being Federal Electric. Different factories but a stones throw from each other.

Well this board isnt quite 1800s, but the ways are marked with the phase colours of red white and blue so it's not too recent.

There's a board next to that one with an ECC MCCB which I think is original to the installation which is probably 1960's, complete with big VIR tails still feeding it.

yes the board is old and if it was my property id upgrade the db. I cant see by just looking at the board any reason why it should be condemned. are there any other issue's. its metal clad its earthed not a neat install but were is it dangerous.

Reply to EICR specs for these RCBO's in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net