Discuss EICR What would you do? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

no code at all.

this is the only accurate statement in the whole thread.

C2 is a ridiculous suggestion.

closely followed by this.

FFS even completely missing bonding is only a C2 just to get things into perspective.

And all that claptrap about type testing falls flat on its face when we remember the epic Wylex product recall of a few years ago when even their own brand of mcbs would go up in smoke in their own CU's.

looks to me like folk have forgotten how to think for themselves when faced with something they "dont like"

Here's a little bit of my two pennorth.
All MCBs are produced to a certain BS. All other bits and bobs that go into a CU are also produced to a standard.
This is a bare minimum, some are better than it, some are worse. However, if all the components of a site built assembly comply to the relevant standards how can a manufacturer cry foul because some bits of the thing you made (using your skills and experience) are not made by the same maker.

But surely one concern is the arc resulting from a fault and whether it causes any damage.

Should we have 1 fault no reset circuit breakers as we have no method of testing them or their integrity once they have tripped on fault

Your right I have gone a bit off track and of course the entire board has to comply throughout.
Sorry for not making that clear I didn't mean to say otherwise although my last post would imply so.
I do know exactly where your coming from but I will stand by the use of plain old common sense in these situations.
If the MCB is from a reputable supplier suitably type tested and fits the existing connection points in the same way as the original then I would deem it safe for use, with a C3 on a EICR.
If your car needed a new set of brake pads would you always fit OEM parts or have you ever fitted good quality after market at half the price.
Of course you have and not lost sleep over it either.
And thats the brakes on a vehicle that could be carrying your family, let alone an mcb from a different manufacturer.

Most OEM car parts are manufactured by the so called aftermarket companies

With the vast majority of commonly available domestic MCBs there seems to only be one or two factories producing them with the only difference between brands being the screen printing on the front of them.

You can easily put together a CU from different brands but the exact same manufacturer, what code would you give that?

I would like to know how 'putting it in the marketplace' is defined, as to common sense that suggests it is going to be something along the lines of 'being offered for sale'
But in this thread it is being used with reference to equipment being installed in private properties?

My thinking as well

I would be more worried if the Wylex breakers were part of those that were recalled and damaged the Proteus breakers

If this is such a big issue why do manufacturers use a design that allows the interchangeability of MCB's or is it that the reality is we are buying mass produced
badge engineered MCB's and boards and are being sold a pup that they must all have the same badge

As for the type testing how do you test for every possible MCB combination to prove beyond reasonable doubt a catastrophic failure will not occur

IMO probably the biggest cause of failure is not having regular checks to check that the terminals are tight

Blimey this has rumbled on and on! I am only fitting all RCBO boards from now on haha!!

I do find it rather odd, that a device rated at for instance 3kA can when assembled with other devices be rated at 16kA, but if installed on it's own in a panel is still only rated at 3kA.
However as for the OP's question, it will all depend on the measured value of PFC.
If that is greater than the individual rating of the MCBs, then it's a code C2, if it is less then no code.
Yes we have to take account of manufacturer's instructions, not quite the same as having to comply with the instructions.

Reply to EICR What would you do? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net