ELECSA Certification Scheme elecsa to niceic

Discuss elecsa to niceic in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

hmm....
we`ll see....
i am currently with elecsa.....(i`m sorry....its the only way of putting it)....but i will find out whats what...
if theirs one thing about the NIC that would make you consider them....is the fact that for a long time they have actually put in the efforts to lean on certain authorities and make themselves known in the general public image....
now, if you are paying a scam....this would be a reasonable way of that scam to show they were actually doing something....

Marvo, have you actually read the entire thread? It’s yet another money making scheme, as is the insurance the NIC have now introduced. They want members to sell insurance for the installation.

Put this in another context, I worked a professional photographer for 10 years.
I can just imagine the look on my clients face when I asked for an extra payment just in case I cocked their wedding up.
More worrying would be the look on my face when A&E are removing a size 10 boot from my nether regions.

Hi, does anyone know if i can swap from elecsa to niceic?

Of course you can, but why would you?
The usual response is that Council/public bodies insist on NICEIC membership. That is false, and if any Body does say that, they can be taken to Court for restrictive practices (a phone call to the person asking for 'NICEIC only' will usually put them right, if not, a letter from ELECSA/NAPIT/BSI et al will change that policy. ELECSA and NAPIT are both pretty hot on these restrictions, and will get it changed.
ALL of the electrical self certifying bodies have to conform to the same standards, so there is no difference, technically, between any of them. The actual requirements for membership may vary, it used to be that NAPIT was harder to get into, requiring 2391, and that ELECSA was the easiest to get into, requiring only 2382, but I have no recent experience of any of them.

What has annoyed me with NIC&Elecsa is their starting up of a register for their own members, days after NAPIT had launched their own register which was open to all self-certifying electricians.
That is a backward step from those 2, and does not help anyone, it just confuses matters. NAPIT still allow any S/C spark to register on their site (electricsafe), and NIC/Elecsa still only allow their members - it is a pathetic stance by them, and in my view that is why no-one should join those 2 bodies.

All have their pros and cons.The main difference is the assessment procedure and cost of membership.

Lets be honest, with all these safety registers... Do you think joe bloggs is going to search a safety register? When checkatrade etc all get 100% more publicity?

Of course you can, but why would you?
The usual response is that Council/public bodies insist on NICEIC membership. That is false, and if any Body does say that, they can be taken to Court for restrictive practices (a phone call to the person asking for 'NICEIC only' will usually put them right, if not, a letter from ELECSA/NAPIT/BSI et al will change that policy. ELECSA and NAPIT are both pretty hot on these restrictions, and will get it changed.
ALL of the electrical self certifying bodies have to conform to the same standards, so there is no difference, technically, between any of them. The actual requirements for membership may vary, it used to be that NAPIT was harder to get into, requiring 2391, and that ELECSA was the easiest to get into, requiring only 2382, but I have no recent experience of any of them.

What has annoyed me with NIC&Elecsa is their starting up of a register for their own members, days after NAPIT had launched their own register which was open to all self-certifying electricians.
That is a backward step from those 2, and does not help anyone, it just confuses matters. NAPIT still allow any S/C spark to register on their site (electricsafe), and NIC/Elecsa still only allow their members - it is a pathetic stance by them, and in my view that is why no-one should join those 2 bodies.

All have their pros and cons.The main difference is the assessment procedure and cost of membership.

When councils or insurance companies etc specify niceic its usually meaning the approved contactor status rather than the domestic part p register status, as its usually for work outside the part p regulations, for eg testing eicr works commercial work etc or the higher standards they require for membership

they are not breaking any laws by specifying this, nonsense!, they can specify whatever they like!, otherwise where are all the court cases??

There are loads of issues of companies being refused tenders cause they are not NIC AC havent heard of one council or business being taken to court.....ever

Open your eyes! this is a total FAILURE of schemes like napit to earn the subsription fees of the companies they supposedly represent and why i personally wouldnt bother withany of the others as like it or not they are seen as 'mickey mouse' schemes by most of these authorities and most major specifyers

As regards to domestic works, i have found that when most companies are specifying for domestic work they now do actually say something along the lines of 'must be registered with niceic or equivalent part p scheme'

in any case if your serious about giving your business an edge why would you join anyone else?

Marvo, have you actually read the entire thread? It’s yet another money making scheme, as is the insurance the NIC have now introduced. They want members to sell insurance for the installation.

Put this in another context, I worked a professional photographer for 10 years.
I can just imagine the look on my clients face when I asked for an extra payment just in case I cocked their wedding up.
More worrying would be the look on my face when A&E are removing a size 10 boot from my nether regions.
nowt new here...
elecsa were at it before this `partnership`......
tried to get me to sell insurance for em.....
claiming it was part of scheme approval....
told em i want commision.....

Im only changing for a personal reason. I dont really care which scam i join as far as im concerned none of them actualy do anything worth while. Electrical safety register!! Jist another joke to make it look like they are earning their 500 quid every year. 1 gas safe style scheme is all thats needed. I just cant seem to get my head around the fact that we and customers / public should only be using qualified / registered sparks, but to join elecsa you don't need a single qualification, not 1!!!!!

Even if 17th was a must have, anyone with half a brain would more than likely pass. "Here are some questions, and here is the book with all the answers in".

Even if 17th was a must have, anyone with half a brain would more than likely pass. "Here are some questions, and here is the book with all the answers in".

it is a complete farce innit, why do we even bother?

im seriously considering whether to bother registering next year, i mean honestly what would happen if i didnt notify a cu change for instance?

i am fully qualified, jib gold app, 2391 etc

install would be bang on to 17th
and properly tested and certed
im fully insured and pay tax

what would be the worst outcome? Naff all i bet!

even for the extensions and loft conversions, building notice would be put in already

give it a few years and this sham will be history

shame is it could of been a real positive for the industry if greed hadnt taken over, and it was properly implemented!

Im thinking exactly the same. Nothing would happen, to be honest 90% of customers have never heard of elecsa or part p, so whats the point? The only positive is that I know im doing things properly by being registered but is that worth 500+ a year

My last ELECSA assessment was a joke, once the paper work was done we were on site for 20 minutes! In total the whole thing took around 30-40minutes.

The most expensive 30 minutes of my life

it is a complete farce innit, why do we even bother?

im seriously considering whether to bother registering next year, i mean honestly what would happen if i didnt notify a cu change for instance?

i am fully qualified, jib gold app, 2391 etc

install would be bang on to 17th
and properly tested and certed
im fully insured and pay tax

what would be the worst outcome? Naff all i bet!

even for the extensions and loft conversions, building notice would be put in already

give it a few years and this sham will be history

shame is it could of been a real positive for the industry if greed hadnt taken over, and it was properly implemented!

DON'T bother, stuff the scams. You're a qualified sparks, and anyway, it's the home owners duty to inform building control.

Reply to elecsa to niceic in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net