Discuss Electric nail gun tripping in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,

First post here so go steady.

Recently installed a small radial circuit in my garage with 2.5, took it from a B16 breaker run through 20mm conduit on a wall. Tested everything with my megger with everything testing ok, happy days.

Couple of days later fired up my nail gun, on the 4th nail (roughly), it trips the 16A MCB. I know the nail gun will have a quick inrush of current as its a quick firing, so do you think changing it from a B type to a C type is a good option?

Perhaps upgrading it to a C20? Any advice would be appreciated

Cheers

I would try a Type C. I assume the circuit has additional rcd protection so fault protection is also provided if necessary, do you know the Zs at the socket outlet.

Hi - if you’ve the patience for an experiment - I’d try using it via a long extension lead. The lead will add some series resistance which may reduce the initial current surge enough to stop the mcb tripping.

if the Ze is nice and low, achieving an acceptable Zs for a 16A type C should be a doddle (about 1.44 ohms before correction/s).

you're just in with the Zs if you allow for temperature correction. x0. 8, if your cable ever gets up to 70deg. which is as likely as me refusing a beer.

Just musing, might you want to run more things at same time in future, possibly a heater in winter or extractor/vacuum?
Given conduit is already there by the sound of it I wondered if putting in 4mm singles on a B32 might be another idea to take the pressure off a bit (though from memory Zs would be right on the limit at 80%.)

Just musing, might you want to run more things at same time in future, possibly a heater in winter or extractor/vacuum?
Given conduit is already there by the sound of it I wondered if putting in 4mm singles on a B32 might be another idea to take the pressure off a bit (though from memory Zs would be right on the limit at 80%.)
Yeah I did think of this and suggested this to him, but he assured me he only uses small power tools in there very rarely. The most being a little palm sander and what not. Most of the time a radio at most. Thought 4mm may be a bit overkill but hindsight and all that

Reply to Electric nail gun tripping in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net