Discuss Electrical car charging point installation in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

But it does not mention ‘an attached garage’ or ‘not attached’.

It says (paraphrasing slightly),

‘PME earthing facility shall not be used as the means of earthing for the protective conductor contact of a car charging point located outdoors or that might be reasonably expected to be used to charge a vehicle located outdoors, unless one of the following methods is used;’ (722.411.4.1)

A subtle difference, do you not agree?

I‘ve not seen an isolating transformer for a car charger just yet.

I looked into the isolation transformer option some time ago, but the cost was ridiculous, a 230/230v 8kVA is around £853, it weighs around 75kg, and this is without an enclosure (or delivery)

This is from a standard manufacturer, I would expect you will be able to get a Chinese version on-line for around 1/2 of this, but with import duty etc, not sure how big a saving you could make.

the isolation transformer idea, sort of ok as an idea, but I think impractical in the real world for normal charge points.

I’m far from being an expert, and have yet to fit an EV charger but from watching the discussions, regs and evolution of the technology... surely they have to be fitted according to manufacturer instructions?

I looked into the isolation transformer option some time ago, but the cost was ridiculous, a 230/230v 8kVA is around £853, it weighs around 75kg, and this is without an enclosure (or delivery)

This is from a standard manufacturer, I would expect you will be able to get a Chinese version on-line for around 1/2 of this, but with import duty etc, not sure how big a saving you could make.

the isolation transformer idea, sort of ok as an idea, but I think impractical in the real world for normal charge points.

Yes thats what I've read here before, may have been yourself.

There does seem to be a lack of clarity on this subject. I wonder if some of these training courses are fit for purpose, no aimed at you @Ed Evans.

Watching that video just confirms what I thought, the earthing requirements in the Car charging Regs are An absolute crock and totally poorly thought out and impractical and until they come up with a solution for all chargers to be able to safely connect to PME then it’s just not safe to do it

I have heard so many people say ‘why haven’t they thought of putting solar panels on top of the cars to power them, its so simple’

just got to laugh!

But the perfect solution for keeping batteries charged up during daylight hours. Car manufacturers really need to get this in place. Also it would reduce demand on the power supply infrastructure.

Reply to Electrical car charging point installation in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock