Discuss Electrical safety inspection on rental properties in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Masood

Hi all,

Just visiting from the plumbers' forum! When doing Landlord Gas Safety inspections I'm often asked if I do landlord electrical inspections as well. I don't, obviously, but when I checked with my sparky mate he reckons there is no such thing.

He says there is an installation safety cert, which is issued after major works, and lasts 10 years, and there is PAT testing. PAT testing would not be appropriate IMO for most rental properties, as portable small appliances normally belong to the tenants, not landlords.

So is he right? And if so, what exactly are the lettings agents asking me for? He does not have his Inspection and Testing qualification (he is JIB qualified though), so maybe he just isn't aware?

Cheers,
Masood

Electrical installation condition report is what you,re after. An installations on certificate is done when work is carried out. Theyondition report is the electrical equivalent of the gas safety certificate, and would entail an inspection and test of the whole installation, not just any recent work. Hope this helps.

Cheeky bar steward just getting used to this chopping board, called iPad. Only have to breathe on it and it types.

Hi all,

Just visiting from the plumbers' forum! When doing Landlord Gas Safety inspections I'm often asked if I do landlord electrical inspections as well. I don't, obviously, but when I checked with my sparky mate he reckons there is no such thing.

He says there is an installation safety cert, which is issued after major works, and lasts 10 years, and there is PAT testing. PAT testing would not be appropriate IMO for most rental properties, as portable small appliances normally belong to the tenants, not landlords.

So is he right? And if so, what exactly are the lettings agents asking me for? He does not have his Inspection and Testing qualification (he is JIB qualified though), so maybe he just isn't aware?

Cheers,
Masood

Your mate is 100% correct, these so called landlord safety cert's are a fabrication created by estate agents and the like for a cheap ''VISUAL'' alternative to an Electrical installation condition report (EICR) that aren't legally worth the paper they are written on....

Hi all,

Cheers,
Masood

Cobblers.

As the others have said there is an EICR and the "next inspection" recommendation is down to the inspector.

As above^,only bit i can add is,i have property rented out,and to keep things simple,decided not to do any certs,inspections etc,on them,as not to risk a possible "conflict of interest",in the future. I,obviously can do so,but employed who the agent recommended,and just hung around whilst he did his thing. This composed of their own "sheets",which rather than have limitations of what cannot be done,just listed what on the day,was done. The lad offered to do as many appliance PAT's as was required for x amount per item,and the only dismantling that he did,bar the front off the DB,was to check fuse rating on SFU's feeding extractors. The lad was sound enough,just doing his job,but these "landlord safety" yokes are a LONG way from a proper EICR,but i suppose a lot of EICR's these days are a long way from being proper...

Reply to Electrical safety inspection on rental properties in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net