Discuss Tenant Having Electrical Safety Test Carried Out - What to Look For? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all, I'd be very grateful for any advice you can give me.

I currently live in a rented property which was built in 1972 - it still has the original fusebox and wiring, and some really ropey DIY electrics that the landlord did himself when he lived in the house in the 80's/90's (there's a stereo speaker wired into the bathroom ceiling, for example - it's not connected to anything or live, but it gives you an idea of what kind of DIY he was getting up to).

We're due an electrical safety test next week, which is something that's been kicked down the road since the first lockdown.

My question is, how bad is this report likely to be? He won't spend any money on the house, and if it's going to cost him a lot of money there's a very good chance I'm going to be looking for a new home in the very near future. I just want to be prepared, so any information you can give me would be really appreciated.

make a note of the time spent in the property .Anything under a hour is pathetic .Also the laws are changing about bad landlords etc .So dont be too scared of him etc . Either state to the electrician "are you here to carry out a full EICR test to the book or just issue a cheap report for the benefit of the landlord only "

make a note of the time spent in the property .Anything under a hour is pathetic .Also the laws are changing about bad landlords etc .So dont be too scared of him etc . Either state to the electrician "are you here to carry out a full EICR test to the book or just issue a cheap report for the benefit of the landlord only "
I've already spoken to the sparky, he sounded like he wanted to jump off a bridge but in fairness he said it was going to take at least 2 hours. I'm not concerned about him, I'm sure he's pretty decent.

Do you know if the fusebox and associated wiring is likely to be legal, or will it need to be replaced?

The whole thing is going to be a nightmare - there's a plug socket behind the dishwasher, and the only way that thing is coming out is if he removes one of the kitchen units. It's so wedged in you can't even get a finger hold on it.

Inaccessible sockets e.g. behind built-in appliances are typically not tested but put down as a limitation. Though if there is a fault on the circuit, the appliance may need to come out later for the remedials.

“At least 2 hours”???

Smallish house, then?

Do us a favour…. Photograph a few things that you think aren’t up to scratch…. Ie broken or loose sockets, the fuse board, what sort of light fitting is in the bathroom.
Post them up on here and we can discuss amongst ourselves.

When you get the EICR done… post that up here as well, with any personal details of the property or the electrician redacted, and we might see if he’s missed some glaringly obvious things to report on.

Offer the spark a cup of tea on arrival,

be friendly and offer to move things for him if it would help him.

if you know where the main water stop cock is, try to empty the cupboard that undoubtedly prevents access to it.

normally a spark will talk to you about what they find but try not to take up to much of his time

Hi all, I'd be very grateful for any advice you can give me.

I currently live in a rented property which was built in 1972 - it still has the original fusebox and wiring, and some really ropey DIY electrics that the landlord did himself when he lived in the house in the 80's/90's (there's a stereo speaker wired into the bathroom ceiling, for example - it's not connected to anything or live, but it gives you an idea of what kind of DIY he was getting up to).

We're due an electrical safety test next week, which is something that's been kicked down the road since the first lockdown.

My question is, how bad is this report likely to be? He won't spend any money on the house, and if it's going to cost him a lot of money there's a very good chance I'm going to be looking for a new home in the very near future. I just want to be prepared, so any information you can give me would be really appreciated.
I suspect the distribution board will require replacement. You can buy a CU for about £50. Light switches and sockets are cheap as chips. Perhaps sockets and switches. The CU will need to be replaced by a registered electrician. Buiklding Regs Part P. But as far as the cabling is concerned, the big job, there's no particular reason why it should need replacing. If it passes the EICR insulation tests then it should be ok. Age isn't the deciding factor.

Two points .

2 hours to do an EICR. Minimum 4 to 8 hours depending on size of property. More if it’s a very large large house.

£50 for a consumer unit. I’ve seen some real cheapies with up from RCD with 3 circuits for £40 which would not be acceptable in any domestic setting. The cheapest dual RCD board Ive seen £65 GB.
who fits dual boards any more anyway.

really!

2 rcd’s will be more expensive!
I don't know where you shopping dude.
Heres one. Dual RCD plus MCBs. Probably way more than you need. £67.
1657911360451.png

Attachments

• CroppedImage.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 21

Reply to Tenant Having Electrical Safety Test Carried Out - What to Look For? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net