Discuss Electrical Tools and Products in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

Alexandder

I am looking to buy the Craftsman 19.2-Volt 4-Tool Kit which are portable power tools that work on a common battery that can be charged for a friend in the Ukraine. I want to get him something that he cannot get there. I was wondering if the battery charger will work on 220V plug that they have in Europe? I know that a lot of things now work on both 110V and 220V and I wanted to check to see if your portable tool battery charger will work on this European voltage also? Also I don't care about the Warranty. All I care about is IF it will work. I don't want to purchase this product and then not have it work once I am over there. I know there will be problems such as, as soon as he uses up the blades, that's it, but I don't care. I just want it to work for the immediate time. I would like it to work until he uses out the batteries,the blades, or the bits? Will this work with a converter. These are battery operated interchangeable tools. The only thing I need to use their electricity for is to charge the batteries.

I wrote an email to Sears and asked their customer service if it would be possible, and they responded:

Unfortunately, our Craftsman tools are only designed for electrical systems in the United States, which have a voltage of 110 volts and a cycle of 60 Hz. These units will not work in the Ukraine, which has an electrical system with a voltage of 220 volts and a cycle of 50 Hz.

My question is if I can go to Radio Shack and buy a converter to convert 220 volts to a 110 Volts and if it would charge the battery even though they are at 50 Hz rather then our 60 Hz? Will the Hz make a big enough difference where it will not work? Are there any options I might have to purchase this item for a gift? Just wondering. If anyone has any knowledge of Electrical systems or portable power tools, it would be greatly appreciated.

THey are only covering their --- !

I have bought stuff from Sears before and it all works fine using a adaptor.
And the quality of Craftsman tools is excellent. If they sold in the Uk , Dewalt etc would be broke

Reply to Electrical Tools and Products in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net